[3830] NAQP RTTY W4SMT Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dflem@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY W4SMT Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 13:51:07 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: W4SMT
Operator(s): W4SMT
Station: W4SMT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Roanoke VA
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:    4     4
   40:  156    43
   20:   47    22
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  207    69  Total Score = 14,283

Club:

Team:

Comments:

This was my first serious contest effort.  I got a taste of contesting a few
weeks ago while vacationing in Aruba. We rented Carl and Sue Cook's *awesome*
rental home with it's world class radio setup and antenna farm (www.p49v.com).
I operated casually as P40DF for 7 days, mostly in the evenings after spending
the days doing touristy things, and managed to log over 1100 Q's. Mostly RTTY
and PSK31 and a little CW. It's a wonderful feeling -being- DX and working
pileups. I happened to stumble across the last few hours of the DL-DX RTTY
contest and decided to play around with it and see if I could make a few
contacts. I managed to log over 300 Q's within just a few hours and got hooked
on RTTY contesting right then and there. I had no idea there was a contest that
weekend. I wish I had known and planned for it.

Anyway, that's what got me motivated to give this contest a try. My shack at
home consists of an Elecraft K3/P3 with sub-RX into a Hustler 5BTV vertical and
a MK II for FSK RTTY.  I got acquainted with (and got hooked on) N1MM and MMTTY
while in Aruba. I'm a Mac guy, and the contesting apps out there for the Mac
are just not up to par with N1MM. So I installed N1MM, MMTTY, and Microham
Router on my iMac with Windows 7 running in VMWare Fusion. It seems to be
working okay, but the FSK stutters every now and then. I guess I'll have to buy
a Windoze PeeCee just for contesting <rolling my eyes>...

The contest was great fun, but I'm a bit disappointed with my score. I was
expecting to do better. I need to hone my skills, but I'm not sure what skills
I need hone. I've done some reading online and found lots of tips. But I still
don't know how the top scorers do it. How is it humanly possible for a single
op to make that many Q's???

See y'all next test..

David, W4SMT
dflem@yahoo.com