[3830] CQWW VHF K9AKS SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, croseman@usc.edu
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K9AKS SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:52:51 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K9AKS
Operator(s): K9AKS
Station: K9AKS

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EN41
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  143    65
    2:   59    29
-------------------
Total:  202    94  Total Score = 24,534

Club:

Comments:

This contest started out very slowly for me--after about four frustrating hours
I was kicking myself for running QRP. Some activity in most directions on 2,
but nobody could hear me. I persisted, however, as the QRP bug is deeply
ingrained [some say it is a form of mental illness]. The situation improved
somewhat on Saturday evening, when I actually had some hours with ten or more
QSOs!  I was pleased that most people I worked on 2 could also hear me on 6;
this includes a few QSOs over 400 km.(but no Es). The old KLM 11 element 6
meter beam was working well.

After I got a good nights sleep, in the morning it was looking like a rather
mediocre contest and low score. However, 6 meters came to the rescue.  It
opened up nicely to New England about 1430Z and continued to be open for the
remainder of the contest. For the last six hours the opening slowly marched
from New England down the east coast and ended up in Florida. Also managed to
find a few more Qs and grids on 2 through the day.

Overall, this is my second best score in the QRP category--just better than
2007, but nowhere near the mayhem of 2006. I'll probably do QRP again!