[3830] CQWW VHF W1XX SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1xx@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF W1XX SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:35:41 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: W1XX
Operator(s): W1XX
Station: W1XX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: FN41ej
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  452   126
    2:   74    23
-------------------
Total:  526   149  Total Score = 89,400

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Report from the Northeast USA's FN41:  Saturday morning local started out
promising when -- over early coffee -- SV1DH and SV9CVY made it into the
pre-contest log.  But come contest time, it was not to be with EU "nada" to
1-Land.  Six-meter activity still kept one busy working all the locals.  But
2-meters perked up with some nice coastal tropo after dark producing S-9
signals from the FM grids along the eastern seaboard.  But it was still early
to bed with the hope of better things to come on the 'morrow.  Sunday morning
started out no better but by mid-morning 6-meters opened up to the Midwest with
a ton of EN stations making it into the log and a VE4 in EO.  Then...
surprise...surprise...W1JJ found C5YK in The Gambia and I jumped in right after
Mick for the QSO.  He was still working the US when I checked more than an hour
later.  But no EU was even heard -- nor even the usual EA8 or CT3 who are
usually relaible daily.  Eventually the EN Qs gave way to the EM contacts and
finally to EL principally in Florida and an ooccasional XE in DL -- but nothing
to 7-land or the West Coast.  Six meters remained open up until the last hour of
the contest when things got pretty sparse ... except for VO1KVT in the closing
moments.  All in all...not bad...but would have liked to see a massive opening
to EU.  The score is about 10% better than last year.  Oh, lest I forget:  EU
was in again gangbusters Monday morning local.  73!! -- John, W1XX