[3830] CQWW VHF N1PRW Hilltopper QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, as@shawsheen.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF N1PRW Hilltopper QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 21:58:37 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Hilltopper QRP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 2.2

    6:  20     5
    2:   5     3
-------------------
Total:  30     8  Total Score = 240

Club:

Comments:

Quick QRP operation from the summit of Pack Monadnock in southern New Hampshire
in outstanding weather. Wish I had more time to operate this one.

Station Equipment:
- Yaesu FT-817ND
- Wire dipole for 6m constructed from SO-239. Fits in pocket and was strung
between trees with zip-ties.
- Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic antenna
- 8' Tripod
- 12V gel-cell battery
Max power 5 watts.

I returned to Pack Monadnock for a short afternoon of contest operation with my
standard FT-817ND QRP kit. The summit was a few degrees cooler with a steady
breeze, a welcome break from the muggy heat below.

This was essentially a 6m contest. Only 5 Qs on 2m for me, but understandable
considering that 6 seemed wide open from Newfoundland to Florida and beyond.

Putting more time into calling CQ is working for me. I'm reaching those who CAN
hear me instead of losing time responding to those who can't hear me anyway.

The 6m wire dipole was OK even though it frustrated me during the June VHF.
Sunday I took more care in aiming it and the terrain was better. Good results,
including a report of strong signals 65 miles away.

One frustration was forgetting the SO239-BNC adapter and having to physically
disconnect and reconnect cables to switch between 2 and 6 instead of letting
the radio switch automatically. That was a time waster when the contest was
running out.

The other frustration was the contest ending while the band was hot.

Photos:
http://shawsheen.com/2011/cqwwvhf/