[3830] CQWW VHF VE1SKY SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve1sky@yahoo.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF VE1SKY SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 06:53:10 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: VE1SKY
Operator(s): VE1SKY
Station: VE1SKY

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bridgetown,NS
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  121    62
    2:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  123    64  Total Score = 8,000

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

As noted by others, the conditions in the Maritime and Atlantic provinces were
abysmal until the last 90 minutes when one of the nicest north-south openings I
have experienced allowed for SA and Carribean stations to be 59+.  It was great
to be spotted several times during that opening by DX stations while running
just 100 watts.

I enjoyed the passive spotting this year and I believe that the CQVHF contest
has gotten it substantially right by allowing passive spotting and some active
spotting for meteor scatter and EME.  For consideration by the contest
officials, there was some rules interpretation confusion happening on Ping
Jockey Central amongst the MS group who are used to the Ping Jockey Central QSO
format.  The rules allowed callsign, frequency and sequence only, but then gave
an example which seemed to indicate much wider use of Ping Jockey such as
azimuth and the asking of particular ops if they would like to try a run.  I
heartily endorse the active spotting rule and hope that the 'normal' Ping
Jockey rules are clearly used next year. Not a great deal of meteor scatter or
EME QSOs are possible, but when sporatic E conditions are absent, it keeps the
interest in the contest alive. CQ should be thanked for recognizing that VHF
operations and contests are much more enjoyable with appropriately sanctioned
assistance.

Although I logged 85% of my QSOs in the last 90 minutes and my total score is
not much to write home about, I always enjoy this contest.  It's getting better
all the time.

Thanks to all who worked VE1SKY!

73,
Roger