[3830] NAQP RTTY KI6VC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ki6vc@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY KI6VC Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:22:55 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: KI6VC
Operator(s): KI6VC
Station: KI6VC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SJV
Operating Time (hrs): 8.75

   80:   28     7
   40:  103    35
   20:  250    49
   15:   21    13
   10:
-------------------
Total:  402   104  Total Score = 41,808

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

Station:  756 ProIII,  4 Ele SteppIR @ 55 Ft,  80/160 Sloper

Random Thoughts

Band conditions were...ech ahhh kind of OK.  20 was good and since little was
happening on 10/15 it was alot of pushing & shoving. I checked 10 and heard
nada...did I miss anything??  Checked 15 at the start and found next to nada so
worked 20 for 2 hours and went back.  It was slow and weak.  Made the jump to 40
a tad early hoping for those close in mults but didn't work out to well.  40 was
great once the sunset hit the eastcoast.  80 would have been better IF I had
tuned the sloper...did it for 160 but since the rig would "tune it" let it
slide...big mistake.  All that SWR has to go somewhere!! and I had trouble
working most stations. That will be fixed for the CW/SSB events. Had one REALLY
BIG scare.  After the second one hour break,  worked 2 Qs to see I had only 10
watts out!!!  Turned out the rig/PS were over heated and that cost me time
letting it cool down.  Thankful I don't have to replace a PA section. I'll have
the backup out of the RV
and ready if there is a repeat.  All together, I'm please with the effort.  I
only missed two states SD and HI.  SD is no suprise but July must
be a bad time for a contest in HI...didn't hear a one.

Big upgrades at VictorCharlie...gone are the BX tower, the F12 C4...all have a
new home now and in their place a SteppIR 4 element on top
of a TX-455.  I could see the difference on 20 from the start what a change!
More time on 15/10 will/should show the same.  I thought I would
miss the 2 ele on 40 with the C4 but not so.  40/30 upgrade works great.  When
I had all the "stuff" stacked in the yard...saw the bags of
hardware for the SteppIR and the upgrades, the hardware for the tower and
look/felt the arthritis in the knees, I called in the pro KJ6Y.  Yep your right
Skip costs.

BUT the job was completed in record time (sans desert wind delays) he had
everything and knows how to use it...plus a little off for sweat equity.
Cost yes but well worth it to have a real pro do it and do it right.  If you're
looking for a tower/antenna check out his website.  The guy moves a ton of stuff
and always has something of interest.

The Lads had a hard time this weekend.  The mild/wet weather here has given us
a bumper crop of wabbits and now squirrels!  With only the ScreenDoor of
Death holding back canine fury, the boys begged me to do something.  Sorry guys
but its a contest.  So to make good on a promise I'll be setting up a
sniper's nest in the RV with the pellet gun and a 9 liter minikeg of
beer...They don't teach that at Recon!!!!!
See Yall for the CW event.

73 KI6VC Meko&Sparky