[3830] CQWW VHF K5QE Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K5QE Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:54:15 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K5QE
Operator(s): N1SX, K5MQ, K5QE, K5AIH, N5NU
Station: K5QE

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: EM31cj
Operating Time (hrs): 27

    6:  537   176
    2:  118    70
-------------------
Total:  655   246  Total Score = 190,158

Club: Nacogdoches Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were absolutely awful on 6M and 2M until the last 3 hours on Sunday.
I thought I was in a January contest.  At the end of Saturday, we only had 33K
points.

We ran digital meteor scatter all night long on 6M.  Conditions there were at
best fair, but the new rules that allow Active Assistance really helped us to
maximize the number of contacts made.  This year, we did not have a dozen
stations on the calling frequency slugging it out.  Stations posted their run
QRG and other stations could find them there.  No need to clutter up the
calling frequency.

We also ran 2M EME all night long.  EME conditions were poor, but I did manage
to make 37 QSOs.  The EME antenna decided to blow up at 5:45AM on Sunday
morning, so that was the end of the EME contacts.

We worked some stations Sunday morning on 6M using "SSB meteor"
techniques--calling very quickly and working stations before the little meteors
burned up.  We just kept slugging it out on Sunday until about 1PM.  Then 6M
went crazy.  We got a major opening to the NE, but there were stations from all
over coming in.  At the time the opening on 6M began, we had only 60+ grids on
6M.  At that same time, we had 70 grids on 2M.

When the opening began, we put our best operator, Jason-N5NU, in the chair.  He
was running at rates above 150/hour for a good part of the time.  Later,
Chris-N1XS took over and was doing very well until the last minute of the
contest.  Lots of credit for the score goes to Jason and Chris.

The 6M opening saved us from a dismal score.  Our score was about 6% lower than
last year at the end.  Without the great 6M opening, we would have been about
40% down from last year.

I want to thank everyone at CQ that hosts, manages, and scores this contest.
This contest is clearly the best contest that we have.  It is far better than
the ARRL microwave contests.  The new rules are superb--they worked very well.

73 to all.....see you next year....Marshall and the rest of Team K5QE