[3830] SARTG WE4M(N2QT) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2qt@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SARTG WE4M(N2QT) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:09:26 -0700
                    SARTG WW RTTY Contest

Call: WE4M
Operator(s): N2QT
Station: N2QT

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5
Radios: SO2R

   80:    0     0     0
   40:   92  1010    37
   20:  208  2485    60
   15:  115  1580    49
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  415  5075   146  Total Score = 740,950

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I wasn't able to do a full time effort in so I decided it
would be a good time to experiment with SO3R.  I normally use a single
computer running N1MM for SO2R so I needed to add a networked
computer, third rig, and figure out the switching and audio monitoring.

For the third rig I started to use my venerable TS940 since it had the IF
output that allows me to hook up a panadapter which I thought would
be key to using the extra radio efficiently.   However in FSK mode it only
uses high tones, and I wanted to use low tones on this rig to mix in with
the high tones I normally use on the original two radios.  Since this was
an 'experiment I didn't want to figure out setting up AFSK ).  I therefore
settled on using an FT1000MKV, which allows low tones and had the
advantage of having more filters. It didn't have an easy way to add a
band scope but I did manage to hook up an SDR to the FT1000, fed off
the RX antenna port. This gave me a 10-15khz view of the band, although
I had to manually select which part of the band, since I couldn't figure
out how to get it to track the tuning on the Yaesu.  I also had bleed
through of the SDR injection frequency into the FT1000, and other issues.

At least the audio routing was pretty easy.  I use a somewhat modified clone
of the TopTen DXDoubler. This box has an audio mix feature that allows
combining the audio on two radios.  I added an extra input, isolation
transformer and rewired it to mix the third radio with the left ear audio
of the left most of the two original radios.  Running the narrow filters in
both of the radios, it seemed easy to differentiate between the radio with
high tones and the radio with low tones.  I used the volume controls on
the radios themselves to set the balance to what I liked.

Adding a second computer networked under N1MM was a bit of a struggle, but
no more than any other thing tried for the first time.  I used a laptop with
an external USB soundcard. There are several features that are key for
multi-one or multi-two type operation such as other rig lock out and the
like that take some time to get used to.  The third radio does not integrate
with the SO2R logic such as N1MM's  'last one wins' so it requires some
rethinking in use.

I had a separate keyboard (one of the mini-keyboards so there would be room)
and mouse for the second computer.  However I have been using Synergy,
software that allows sharing of a single mouse and keyboard across multiple
computers.  (from http://synergy-foss.org/)  Since I use N1MM in its mouse
centric mode (ESM, right click sends enter) I found that using a single
mouse and having the screens from the two computers next to each other
I didn't use the second keyboard/mouse much.

Now for antennas.  While it is said you can never have two many antennas,
this becomes doubly true when trying to feed three radios.  I chose to use
the third radio on 40M only since my 40 dipole has stubs for isolation and
does not share feedlines with any other antenna. While this was good
engineering it wasn't so hot operationally as it forced me at times to have
the third radio on the best band.  I think it would be best to have the
third radio on the third best band, and be able to keep the first two radios
going on the best two.

Radio arrangement.  I have both my SO2R radios on the left, even though I'm
right handed.  I have found that since I tend to keep my right hand on the
mouse, the left hand is best for radio tuning.  Since there was room to the
left of the two radio (once 6M e-skip died the 6M amp could be moved) the
third radio went there. This was awkward but workable.

So was this worth it?   Well it was fun, and continues to be so since I
enjoy the challenge of the design and operation at least as much as the
contest itself.  Did it help my score? Well that's not easy to compare since
I used it in a part time effort; but my guess is that it didn't.  I spent
too much time learning the setup and its operation.  Will I try it again?
Of course, but with changes.  Thankfully there are more contests coming
up. There are just too many nuances of operation to sort through with
simulated operating.

So if my messages were messed up and I seemed confused, remember I'm still
learning!

Rigs  K3 (X2),  FT1000MKV
Ant   KT34 60 ft
        3El Steppir 48 ft