[3830] NAQP SSB N4TP(@W4DUG) M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4lt@ij.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N4TP(@W4DUG) M/2 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:15:15 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: N4TP
Operator(s): KD4ACG, KD4OPT, N4CDF, W4BKY, W4LT
Station: W4DUG

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Tampa, FL
Operating Time (hrs): 11.25

  160:    0     0
   80:   41    23
   40:  492    57
   20:  665    56
   15:   66    27
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1264   164  Total Score = 209,824

Club: Florida Contest Group

Team:

Comments:

Rig : Icom IC756Pro2, Kenwood TS570D, Elecraft K3/100

Antennas : Force 12 C19x @ 70f, C31XR @ 108f, EF240X @118f, Carolina Windowm
160@ 40f

Soapbox :

A very respectable score for the conditions, experience level of the ops and
the weather!  Good job everyone!

2011 Contest High School class at Tampa ARC includes Freshmen KD4OPT with N9SSB
logging, Sophomores Cindy N4CDF, Becky W4BKY and Senior Jason KD4ACG with W4LT
doing the teaching.  Thunderstorm with hellacious lightning and torrential rain
forced QRT for 45 minutes in prime time, unplugging all the coaxes so as not to
become an unintended lighting rod.  Bands were noisy with much QRN from the
storm.

Not a single signal was heard on 10m .  160?  Nah!  80? Doin' the best we can,
but the fish in the Gulf were off doing CWOPS and were not on SSB.  Happy with
the 20 and 40m score, a bit dissapointed in the 15m score, but such is life...

Tested new receiver modifications on TS570 in actual combat, it held up well,
but still is a bit crunchy. Decided to exchange this rig for the K3 when moving
to 40 meters, best move of the evening! Although the '570 has come a long way,
and is quite useable on CW, the 1.8 filter and AGC loop mods do help, but are
no miracle cure.  While the rig is much more manageable now in QRM, its not a
good crowded band SSB performer.  But everybody could run it with confidence
with a 2 minute orientation, the reason for its apearance at this party! The
low C19 outperformed the high C31XR consistently to the midwest and rocky
mountains, while the C31XR was loud into the Pacific North West, California and
Hawaii. I will remember this for SS. We had a pileup of Alaskans on 20 in the
afternoon. And, of course, the 40m beam simply rocks, holding 7193 for three
and a half hours with high average rates, such a pleasure to use this antenna!
Worked all states on 20 and worked all but one state on 40m (missed Alaska).

This group is now becoming rather adept at mult passing with many succesful
passes between the two stations.  All had fun, and the rookies learned a lot
(at least that is what they tell me). Maybe they will be back!

Lu - W4LT
Tampa ARC Contest Wrangler