[3830] KsQP N0U Mobile MOST LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5cm-2@suddenlink.net
Subject: [3830] KsQP N0U Mobile MOST LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 22:20:53 -0700
                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: N0U
Operator(s): K5CM, N5KW
Station: N0U

Class: Mobile MOST LP
QTH: 18 counties
Operating Time (hrs): 17

   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  869    733      6  Mults = 54  Total Score = 226,136

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

( From Pam N5KW / N0U )

Having always driven Connie around the counties for the qso parties and never
operated contest from the mobile I charged my cell phone so I could play games
while waiting for him to run the pile ups from multi county lines and wait to
race off to the next spot.  Much to my surprise and delight he announced
somewhere along the way we were a multi op this time.  He would run the cw and
rtty and I could run the ssb operation.  He must have noticed MY look of
surprise or the lack of words (which is never an issue for me) cause he just
had that wry little smile he gets when he has pulled a fast one over on me!

Away we go...After "MANY" revisions to the route and the plan of attack we
finally decided to leave sat morn early and start in Montgomery county and then
head to Chatauqua and Elk as we would be the only station in these two counties.
 From the lack of roads I now understand why no one else jumped on this band
wagon....At the Elk/Cowley line we saw one vehicle in the 30 minutes we were
there.  The rest of the counties were pretty uneventful until I finally got my
nerve and was ready for the mic (Note I've worked contest for over 35 years and
never had this issue....just Writelog from the mobile.....) At the
Labette/Cherokee/Crawford line I was finally ready.  It was a blast.  I admit
at times afterwards I probably drove to fast to get to the next line so I could
have my turn again!

Don't use precious road time or operating time trying to explain yourself to
anyone at a gas station.  Just agree from the beginning ....Yes, I am a weather
spotter.....

Sunday proved to be the most interesting however...We went to the Allen,
Bourbon, Linn and Anderson 4 county line.  We spent quite a bit of time on
google earth making sure we could truly get there.  You can....you just have to
go through the farmers pasture!  When the road dead ended at the farm, not
wanting to trespass (or be shot) I did the right thing and knocked on the
door... again and again and again, When the wife opened the door in a
nightshirt and a pillow covering the bottom half I was just glad it wasn't the
farmer himself.  Needless to say it didn't take long to get permission.

All in all Kansas backroads were surprisingly beautiful to me especially in the
Flint Hills and I'm looking forward to next years adventure except Connie will
be doing some of the driving as you'll hear me on the air.

73
Pam, N5KW

(From Connie K5CM / N0U)

The highlight of the trip was hearing John, N6MU send "SWEEP" when I worked him
in Lyon County. Great job John for so diligently folling all the moblies around
the 105 counties.
When Pam and I were operating from the Woodson/Coffey line and Pam had a nice
run going on SSB I said we better move on or we might not make it to Lyon she
gave the radio back to me and what do I do... I get another run going on CW and
I tell her to wait.... anyway we were cutting it a little close when we crossed
over into Lyon county. You might know that my first contact in Lyon would be
N6MU.

Some of the stations worked the most:
W5CW, VE3KZ, N6MU, N8II, N4PN, W7ON, W4UCZ, OM2VL, VE4EAR, VE3GXW, TI8II, NU0Q,
N5ARO, N2WN, LY5A, KS4X, KO7X, KN4Y, K5WAF, K4ZGB, K4YT, K4BAI.

On the down side, RTTY was pretty much a waste of time.

Rig: FT-920, Tarheel 200A on bummper mount for all bands, 3 hamsticks on
magmounts for quick band switching.

Picture here:
http://qrz.com/db/n0u

73,