[3830] NA Sprint CW WI9WI LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW WI9WI LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 18:20:44 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Bobcat Lake, MI
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:    9       2
   40:   54      17
   20:   47      15
---------------------

Club:

Team: SMC #1

Comments:

I decided to do something a bit different for this one. I combined a couple of
things I like to do, radio and camping. I went to the UP  of Michigan. My
thinking was that sometimes there are few MI stations on during sprint as
opposed to WI. This turned out to not be the case this time, but so be it. I
drove to our cabin in northern WI Friday nite. Saturday I got up and had to put
together a couple of feed lines and make sure I didn't forget anything. About
noon I drove to the UP. It was about a two hour trip to the NFS campground at
Bobcat lake which is about 2 miles south of Marenisco, MI. I had the whole 11
site campground to myself. I set up the tent and camp and placed a rope over a
suitable tree limb. It was a beautiful day, in the 70s and cloudless. I then
discovered that my 135 ft OCF dipole was not in shape to do the contest. It was
all tangled up and broken, which I had forgotten about from the last time I used
it about 3 years ago. Rather than spend a couple of hours untangling it and
fixing it, I opted to just use the bugcatcher mobile antenna. I got the station
set up, fed and walked the dog and had some hot chocolate. Things started
slowly, but picked up a bit after the initial feeding frenzy and people started
looking for new stations to work. Overall the best band for me was was 40.
Twenty was OK, and 80 a bust, with only 9 Qs in 45 minutes on the band, as you
might expect with a very short antenna. After it was over I had a bit of
dinner, an 807 and went to bed.

So long as I was not in WI as usual I decided to use a different name too.
"Tio" is my dog. He didn't operate, but I might as well have let him have 80.
He might have done better than I did..

I had lots of requests for repeats of the name, few for the QTH. I wonder how
many busted "MI" as "WI"

Sunday morning I drove back to our cabin, spent a few hours ther and then made
the trip back to Madison.

Gear:
K-3 throttled back to 60W to avoid lowering the battery voltage too much
Glass-Mat RV battery
Bug catcher mounted on the roof rack of the car
Netbook computer with WrireLog

Thanks to all who pulled me out.

It was fun

73