[3830] NA Sprint CW W4EF HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W4EF@dellroy.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W4EF HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:12:07 -0700

Rig: Omni 6+ & Drake L-7
Antennas:
20M  Spiderbeam @45'
     Inverted-V @40'
40M  Inverted-V @40'
     1/4 Wave Vertical
80M  Inverted-V @40'
     1/4 Wave Vertical

Not one of my better efforts. Bad weather didn't help matters. I drove through
rain on the way from LA to the high desert. It wasn't raining when I got to the
Antelope Valley, but that didn't last for long. Thunderstorm static on 20 meters
wasn't too bad at the start, but I started getting severe rain static on the
Spiderbeam maybe 15 or 20 minutes into the contest. It wasn't present on the
inverted-v, so I ended up transmitting on the Spiderbeam and listening on the
inverted-v by manually switching with a B&W rotary coax switch. This worked
okay, but threw off my rhythm a bit.

Thunderstorm static on 40 meters was really bad and by then then lightning was
getting too close for comfort. A sensible person would have pulled the plug at
that point, but I somehow convinced myself that I didn't feel like being
sensible so I pressed on. By that time I was starting to really feel bad
physically. Between the physical discomfort and the static crashes I was asking
for an embarassing number of repeats. When I hit 80 it was more of the same only
worse. After I had to ask N0AX to repeat his number 3 or 4 times, I decided that
nobody was being served by my continued participation, least of all me, so I
shut off the rig and went straight to bed with about 30 minutes left to go.

The good news is that the Spiderbeam (rain static nonwithstanding) seemed to be
a big improvement over the 20M inverted-V. Hopefully things will go better in
February. See you all then.

73, Mike W4EF...........