[3830] Salmon Run WA7KVC SO Cnty DXpedMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, barry@wa7kvc.com
Subject: [3830] Salmon Run WA7KVC SO Cnty DXpedMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:03:32 -0700
                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: WA7KVC
Operator(s): WA7KVC
Station: WA7KVC

Class: SO Cnty DXpedMixed LP
QTH: Garfield
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:   42     42
   40:   56    104
   20:   75     20
   15:
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  173    166      0  Mults = 79  Total Score = 82,396

Club: RTKCC

Comments:

Rookie: first HF contest, first Salmon Run, first time using N1MM, first CW
contact in 30 years, first HF expedition, first battery portable, first solar
panel, first visit to Umatilla Nat Forest, first solo camping trip, first time
I locked my keys in the car with the engine running.

It was great fun handing out points for Garfield county, it's like giving away
free candy for two days straight. Lots of friendly, grateful, efficient,
helpful operators on 80 and 40. I didn't enjoy the elbowing crowds on 20m so I
went back to the fun bands even though some extra multipliers would have
helped. It's just so enjoyable to keep a run going on one frequency for an hour
or two at a time.

It took much longer than expected for set-up and tear-down while camping solo.
Has anyone ever noticed how much walking is involved in hoisting both ends and
the middle of a dipole between trees 180' apart. And how much fun it can be for
a single person to fold and unfold a big tent in windy conditions. Next year I
must bring a buddy. And a spare car key in case I lock myself out again with
the engine running in a remote national park.

Cost in gas: 26 cents per QSO. Activating a rare county: Priceless.