[3830] TxQP K5KG Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, georgek5kg@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] TxQP K5KG Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:33:33 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG
Station: K5KG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:    0      0      0
   80:    0      0      0
   40:   43     57      0
   20:  196    161      0
   15:   16      5      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
  UHF:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  255    223      0  Mults = 179  Total Score = 230,769

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

What a great contest.  We did not intend to work this one seriously, but once I
got started, I got hooked.  There seemed to be an endless stream of TX
stations, especially on SSB, and the mobile activity was spectacular.  Here are
the our QSO totals with the mobiles:

NO5W - 26
N5NA - 22
N5DO, N5TM, W0BH - 19
W3DYA - 18
WD5IYT - 14
KK5W - 10
K5JX - 9
N4CD, WB0TEV - 8
N3BB - 6

NO5W was consistently the loudest mobile, but certainly each of the other
mobiles ran close seconds or thirds depending on the band condx at any moment.

W0BH mobile, although maybe not the loudest mobile, was an interesting one to
work.  He signed a quick dit-dit at the end of each Q, and did not append /CTY
or /M to his call.  It seemed as though these things really helped his rate.
Also, he was giving out up to four counties at a time which was a nice
surprise!

20m was the money band. 40m CW was ok except for the many RTTY stations that
were quite low in the band, thereby forcing the CW stations down even further.
15m was spotty with some European DX, but few TX stations to work. However, on
Sunday afternoon, both N5DO and W0BH were incredibly loud on 15 when there were
no other TX stations to be heard. Go figure!  Also, on Sunday afternoon, 10m was
crawling with European stations, but the skip was just too long for TX.  I tried
moving several stations to 10m, but no joy. On Saturday night, I tried to go to
80m, only to find that my antenna was inop.  I later discovered that one end
had fallend down...(hmmm, why didn't I check that before the contest?)

Bonus points 14,000 for working the mobiles in multiple counties are included
in the total score above.

Tnx to all the TX ops, and especially the mobiles, who made this contest a
success.

73, George, K5KG