[3830] CaQP W0BH SOFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0bh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP W0BH SOFixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 20:49:07 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 22.7
Radios: SO2R

  160:    9      2
   80:   37     62
   40:   51    142
   20:   71    429
   15:   59    319
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club:

Comments:

Several weeks before the CQP, my XYL Lorna accepted a dinner invitation (for
both of us) on the Saturday evening of the CQP. I also work with the Hesston
College ARC as we use the CQP to gain contesting experience before Sweepstakes.
Given both of these issues, I had once again ruled out a full-time effort for
2011, but ...

First, the start. It's great fun to try for the Sweep and see how fast the
counties come. This year, they just didn't stop coming. It seemed like there
were more ops out there sooner in the rare counties .. likely a result of hard
work by the organizers. I like to count down the final five, so at 1902Z, the
countdown started with W6USN in Stanislaus. Six minutes later came KC6MCI in
Lake followed in another six minutes by KE6UAR in Del Norte. At 1927Z, I worked
N7YDX/6 in Imperial, thanked them for being out there, and told them I had one
county to go. They wished me good luck.

Which left Sutter .. a county I've had to wait a very long time for in past
CQPs. Not this year. K6TAZ/m called in at 1948Z with Sutter, and mobile op
Steve and I both celebrated! So imagine my surprise when N7YDX/6 called back in
on the same band about 45 minutes later. I told them it was a DUPE, but I wasn't
in their log, at least not that log. They mentioned that they had several
stations with several logs, so I hope they find me somewhere! If not, we worked
again at 2029Z which would make Imperial my last county. In either case, I'm
really glad they called back, because my next IMPE came at 0200Z.

Band conditions were terrific from Kansas both days. 20 and 15 were well over
S9, and I was running 100/hr on the 10-minute meter when Lorna came in and
tapped her watch, expecting me to quit immediately. I did .. after I worked
down the four stations still calling me. It wasn't quite the optimal time to
take time off, but I'm guessing if I hadn't, my future rates might have
suffered! We drove in two cars to Newton for a great meal and good company,
then I bowed out early and came home two hours behind. It felt the same as
taking time off the first six hours of Sweeps, but at least I was full and
rested.

Lots of great ops and fun stories along the way. K6AQL/m did another fine job
of putting out counties as one of the few mobiles I heard who were actually out
running. On Sunday when things slow down dramatically, I enjoyed moving stations
around the bands to fill in missing CW and SSB slots in the log. It was also fun
chatting with Dennis/W1UE from time to time all the way from 6Y6U, and with
John/N6MU who kept encouraging me to hang in there. It sounds like 10m was good
to both of them. I heard signals on 10m, but not from CA, though I perhaps
didn't check often enough. My most unusual contact came with KC6NDC who said he
was using an underground antenna. He has info on it on his QRZ.com page.

I worked 652 unique calls. Top ops for me:

10 N60 (missing only 10m)
09 K6Z
08 AE6Y K6AQL/m K6LA K6NA N6M W6YI
07 K6NV K6YL KF6T NI6T W6YX
06 9 ops
05 18 ops
04 26 ops

Since I had good conditions to all counties most of the time, I thought it
might be fun to sort by county. I wonder how this compares with combined stats.
The number is how many contacts I made to each county.

02 DELN
05 GLEN KING MERC
06 TULA SBEN ALPI MADE MEND
07 SUTT IMPE
08 SIER COLU MARP
09 TEHA NAPA BUTT
10 MONT MODO LASS
11 MONO LAKE YOLO
12 PLUM SFRA STAN CALA
13 SHAS YUBA SOLA
14 HUMB TUOL TRIN MARN
16 SISK KERN
17 INYO AMAD
18 SBAR
19 NEVA
21 SACR
22 PLAC SJOA
25 SCRU FRES
27 SLUI
28 ELDO
30 SMAT
31 ALAM
32 RIVE
33 VENT
38 CCOS SBER
47 ORAN
55 SONO
77 SCLA
99 LANG
116 SDIE

To keep myself entertained on Sunday, I start over again trying for a Sweep.
This Sunday, I heard all counties except Del Norte and Modoc on Sunday,
although I didn't work Glenn and Kings because they would have been DUPEs.

Thanks to the NCCC for sponsoring another great CQP! The local clubs and ops
really did a job this year and are likely already looking forward to next year.
So am I!

73, Bob, w0bh