[3830] JARTS K3FIV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] JARTS K3FIV Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 19:53:22 -0700
                    JARTS WW RTTY Contest

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA CM88eu
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:    2    4     2
   40:   19   39    13
   20:   57  157    29
   15:  104  267    36
   10:   85  236    22
------------------------
Total:  267  703   102  Total Score = 71,706

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Flex-3000, N1MM, MMTTY
Ant: 135 foot Carolina Windom at 35 feet, on all bands
Loc: CM88eu, about a kilometer from the Pacific Ocean.

Sure is nice to have sunspots.  Congratulations to the EU stations who could
pull out my 100W-and-a-dipole signal - especially the ones who answered my CQs!
 It was refreshing to be able to run for a change, and even to have a call from
EU immediately followed by a call from ZL.  Amazing propagation.

With so many RTTY signals around, I used the opportunity as a training exercise
on how to better use the MMTTY and N1MM software with the Flex-3000.  There's a
*lot* of settings in all that software.  Played around with various profiles,
and discovered that they really do make a difference in copying DX, e.g., using
a "fluttered signal" profile for EU signals coming over the pole.  I also
experimented with MMTTY and N1MM settings for TX.  Used a 300Hz filter on both
RX and TX, to try to send out a clean signal.  It must all have helped since I
got only a few requests for fills, and had little trouble copying anybody.

As the contest ended, I finally got macros set up the way I liked.  This time,
I even remembered to save my macro files, so I don't have to invent everything
again in the next RTTY contest.

The goal for next time is to remember that I saved the settings from this time,
and also to remember where I saved them.

Great way to spend some time over a fall weekend.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV
Point Arena, CA