[3830] CQWW SSB K2PO SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wycpublic@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K2PO SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:11:24 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K2PO
Operator(s): K2PO
Station: K2PO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Newberg, Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 36:24
Radios: SO2R

  160:   16     5        5
   80:   33    11       11
   40:   77    20       45
   20:  266    29       84
   15:  476    30       89
   10:  697    30       88
------------------------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

It's all been said, but again:   Wow!

(I'd never had 10m QSOs above 29 MHz before...)

The bands were so open that figuring where to point the antenna was a
challenge.  (The rotator got quite a workout.)  Fortunately, the bands were SO
open that stations often heard my 100w regardless of where the antenna was
pointing.

Despite great conditions, the log is still Asia-centric, with 41% of my QSOs,
vs. 29% for Europe.   Can you say 432 different JA stations?  (How many
multipliers is that?  . . . One!)  Five-band QSOs with JA3YBK, JA5FDJ and
JA7YRR (as well as CR2X, KL7RA and KH7X; actually six-band for KH7X).

There were a few Murphy Moments: trying - for too long - to work 80m using 10m
antenna (EF8R still had a good signal), having the autotuner in a TS-850 die,
and frying an external beverage-switching unit by a bone-headed maneuver
(credit lack of sleep), etc.  But that's part of the fun.

Without spots, 160, 80 and 40 were tedious.  I spent several slow hours trying
to find multipliers, and managed to snag some, but ultimately I opted for sleep
so I'd be better rested for the next day on 20m/15m/10m.  My score suffered a
bit, but my ears didn't suffer as much.

'Ended with 130 different countries - my first single-weekend DXCC.

They say the peak of Cycle 24 isn't until 2013.  Imagine . . .