[3830] CQWW SSB YP9W(YO9GZU) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, yo9gzu@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB YP9W(YO9GZU) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 06:31:17 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: YP9W
Operator(s): YO9GZU
Station: YO9WF

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Buciumeni
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:  134     8       51
   80:  224    17       70
   40: 1127    29      101
   20: 1147    38      122
   15: 1652    37      125
   10: 1273    36      119
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

First of all many thanks to Ionut YO9WF for letting me use his fine station! He
was struggling with the hardware issues before contest and managed to supply me
with all I needed during the test, includding massage of back and neck muscles
at times of fatigue, beverages refill and providing small pieces of food so I
could drag them inbetween the qsos. Also big thanks to his great family for
making me feel again very welcome and assuring that I wasn't missing anything!
Even if I was almost completely disconnected of outside world, I felt a great
atmosphere around me, with friends visiting the shack, taking pictures and
changing smiles with me. Ionut arranged also a great show up on Sunday
afternoon, bringing our radio teacher, OM Mircea YO9AGI, for a pleasant visit -
what a nice surprise! All this fine emotional support combined with the fabulous
conditions from the bands allowed me not to feel any tiredness. I felt like I
should move on when the time for a scheduled break came on after 24 hours, but
then I've decided it would be wiser to conserve my energy for the second day
whet the high bands will come again to life, which turned out to be a good
decision.

All in all, given the station capabilities, the target was a modest score of 6
mil points, enough to update the YO record. But the barrier was reached approx.
8 hours before the end, so in the finel couple of hours I found myself competing
against the EU record of 9 mil. pts owned by OE4A (OE1EMS/E77DX) since 2004. Of
course, I am aware that some giant scores will show up after this one (e.g.
ER4A) and many records will fall, but the feeling that this target would be
possible from YO land with average antennas (OB17-4, tribander, 40m rotary
dipole and 80/160m inv. vee) was quite emotional and unimaginable before
today.

The operation was planned as unassisted, but technical problems made the use of
SO2R setup almost impossible during the night hours, chiefly because a proper
80m antenna was missing. The brand new 80m vertical from Titanex, planned to be
lifted up in the previous week, arrived at destination with severe damage and
had to be returned. Consequently, 80m and 160m was covered only by a simple
inverted vee with one feedeing line, so this and some other unexpected
interferences made me decide for packet assistance. But during daily hours the
setup performed fine, and often I found myself tuning for multipliers on the
second radio instead of chasing them from the packet, in order to avoid the
frustration from packet generated pileups.

It was great to meet or even to chat for some moments with friends around the
world: Ton PY2YU, Braco E77DX, Sue AI6YL, Chip N2YO, the guys from CR3L, CN3A,
LZ5R, PW7T, PS2T, K1LZ and so on. I've also had an eye to CR2X (OH2UA) and 4O3A
(ES5TV) and followed up their battle, already an European classic, with
excitement.

See you in CQWW CW!
Best 73 Tibi YO9GZU