[3830] CQWW SSB VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB(A)/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joel.weiner@ualberta.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB(A)/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:51:20 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB(A)/10 HP
QTH: Alberta
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10: 2631    38      147
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Its been a very long time since we had conditions like this on 10m. With all the
dire forecasts for cycle 24 I was worried we would not see much on 10m but this
was one for the record books. Contest started normally enough with decent
signals from JA and the far east. As expected the band closed up here after
about 1.5 hr. 10m is a daylight band in northern Alberta. Nothing over the pole
at night and the first signals were from zone 33 at around 1200z. At 1400z I
could work a few western Eu beaming east.  Band finally opened as the sun rose
at 1500z. Signals were entirely from very western and southern Eu. The opening
was relatively short and ended about 1730z. Rest of the day was spent working
US/SA and a few others. The late afternoon opening to Asia was much better then
Friday evening with very good signals from SE Asia. Again band closed at 0130z.
At 0550z we got our first midnight polar opening of this cycle with incredible
signals from zone 21. Every station I worked was surprised to hear me. Heard a
zone 17 station working someone and this was the only zone 17 heard during the
contest. Never did work him. The opening was relatively short and over by
0630z. Listened Sunday AM at 1130z but the band was dead. Expecting the band to
behave like Saturday morning I didn't listen again until 1230z and found the
band absolutely filled with eastern Eu/Middle East. Picked up a pile of
multipliers before the band went out. Heard a few very fluttery western Europe
at 1600z but I was confined to S&P as I could not get a run going. The band
improved in the next hour and many more Eu in the log. Sunday afternoon was
again confined to US/SA.
Overall worked 38 zones. Missed 17 and never heard 22. Worked 147 country mults
and heard a number of additional mults but with large pileups and very short
openings I decided to go for rate over mults.
Overall the band was only open for about 23 hr. Maybe as the flux rises over
the next couple of years we will get longer openings.

As always Don was a great host keeping me fed and watered throughout the band
openings.
Equipment: ICOM 756Pro, homebrew amp. Antenna was 7 over 7 over 7 at 150ft, 100
ft and 50 ft. Also a TH6 pointed at US.