[3830] CQWW SSB VA7BEC SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VA7BEC@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VA7BEC SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:55:53 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA7BEC
Operator(s): VA7BEC
Station: VA7BEC

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: nr Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:
   80:   36     3        4
   40:   50    12       12
   20:  173    77       28
   15:  381    84       31
   10:  177    39       23
------------------------------
Total:  817   215       98  Total Score = 610,037

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Again, as last year, the first 12 hours of this contest were so difficult that I
really considered calling it quits, despite starting out fairly well on 10M. My
usual YL magic just was not working on the low bands very well at all. But I
was part of a team and I while at low power my score is not a huge addition to
the total, it still counts in the end. And so I persisted.

As the sun rose on the West Coast, the high bands provided better results. But
it was still very difficult to get through those massive and seemingly endless
pileups outside NA.

Nevertheless, I managed to get enough mults to push my point count to last
yearâ??s level by the 24-hour mark. And thanks to a few good runs on 10M, 15M
and 20M -- fueled by US stations -- TU!! -- my Q count went up as well.

I suppose as conditions get better -- at least on some bands and from some
locations -- the battle for frequencies on the high bands and the incredible
QRM, intentional and accidental, will undoubtedly get worse. Very hard to find
a safe place to run. Very hard to be heard amid the splatter. Very hard to hear
stations responding to my CQs, if they were indeed responding to me and not a
station elsewhere that they heard but I did not.

Highlights, as there are bound to be despite the difficulties, included a few
new entities for DXCC and higher numbers in the QSO, ZN and DXC columns for a
score nearly twice that of last year.

As always, my sincerest thanks to all the stations in my log, especially those
who answered my CQs and those who pulled my call out of the mud. And those who
took the time to say a "thank you" amid the frantic pace of a pileup. :-)

Rebecca VA7BEC