[3830] SS CW VE6TL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW VE6TL Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 19:23:51 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VE6TL
Operator(s): VE6TL
Station: VE6TL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 22

------------
  160:
   80:   31
   40:  131
   20:  224
   15:  286
   10:  238
------------

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

What a finish!  This was my first clean sweep ever, although I never thought I'd
get it.  With 8 hours left I was still missing 7 sections, 4 of which were in
Canada.  I then worked my one and only Arkansas station with about 4 hours to
go.  Soon after, I worked my first VE5 and ended up working a couple more.
With about 2 hours left, I worked my first VE7 mult (Bud, VA7ST).  I was about
4 QSOs ahead of him at the time and we usually duke it out one way or the
other.  I had tried working VE7CC earlier on 20m, but really think he was wiped
out by multipath, as every time he began transmitting there was a carrier of
exact same frequency over top of him, with a phase delay making it impossible
to pick him out.  I ended up working him later when condx calmed down.  With
only 20 minutes left, I was still needing Manitoba and NWT.  While calling CQ
on 40m, suddenly Ed, VE4EAR, called and I was down to one.  And with 8 minutes
to spare, I got a call from VE8EV to complete the sweep!  And to think I had
considered quitting with a couple hours to go as my head was spinning from all
those long exchanges.  Just goes to show that you should never give up!

So this was, by far, my best effort (22 hours) in the sweepstakes and I'm sure
the score will take a big hit from mistakes (lots of QRM everywhere).  Still,
it was a lot of fun and good CW practice.  I must say my CW skills are much
better now and should be in good form for the CQWW CW contest at the end of the
month.

I also enjoyed the Low Power (150W) and not having to use the amp.  Having had
my FT-5000MP for over a year now I can honestly say that I got the most out of
the filtering and it made a significant difference in my score.  Its taken me a
while to get comfortable with all the settings and the 300 Hz roofing filter
really helped too.  There is a tendency to set the filters too tight and then
miss some calls, so you have to remember to open things up a bit while running.

73 and CU in the next one

Jerry VE6TL

Rig:  FT-5000MP
Ant:  TH6-DXX (10-15-20), BigIR Vertical (40-80)
Software:  N1MM