[3830] SS CW W1UJ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1uj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1UJ Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 02:32:56 -0800

     7     747    1494   41
    14     231     462   11
    21      73     146   16
    28      53     106   11
 Total    1196    2392   80
Score: 191,360

The 40m Moxon Works!

What a Week!

My goal since getting into this radio hobby was to have a tower and beam of my
own.  Thanks to patience and the phenominal Barnstormer team, It finaly
happened.

The week prior was filled with Home Depot runs, hardware orders and late nights
for the preperation.

Thursday;
N1WK Stopped by to prepare the Tram and discuss the plan
Friday;
Ke1LI Climbed established the tram and did some prep work

Then there was Saturday.........

I went out to start prepping rotor wires and feedline at 7a and never stopped
until running out of SS time Sunday night and crashing in bed, HARD!

This project would never be off of the ground if not for N1WK as the project
manager.
KE1LI Spent nearly 6 hours on my tower, I cannot thank him enough.
The Saturday team; N1WK, KE1LI, NR1X, Friend Brian, NR1X Brother Mark, NR1X
Harmonic Connor, W1UJ XYL Shana.

-Dragged up the 2 Element W6NL/K1KP/W1UJ 40m Moxon @ 90'
-Dragged up the 4el Steppir @ 75'
-Went for a great lunch
-Downed 2 cups of coffee and hit the bands
---------------

Within the last few week I received my first 'Major Award' for contesting in
the form of a SS CW 2010 Plaque for #1 New England Unlimited, which was also a
New England record.  I was going to try and defend it, but did speak with K5ZD
at the YCCC Contest U about going into the B class where the competition is
different and give up the spotting.   The spots are distracting!  I had a blast
tuning around finding guys to work... I dont think Im going back.

40m was my money band with the Moxon, I mean it would just not quit.  Was
hearing the whole continent West-to East coast constantly, the layers of
stations while tuning around was phenominal.  I am scared to turn it to EU!  A
couple EU stations called just to give me favorable reports during the SS.  Off
of the back....

For the high bands, the 4el Steppir was similarly awesome, but I had blown up 2
stepper motor driver chips on the controller, the driven element and the 2nd
director would not turn (on the ground) so I had to use A 3 el controller, so
it was a 3el during the SS.  Again similarly had EU call to give me favorable
reports off of the back, then the VU2 Called ON 15M(I didnt log you sorry! N1MM
ctrl-alt-Enter didnt work)  The QSO was something like this=  me = VE2?   VU2XXX
  me = VA2?   VU2XXX... ?  RRRRRR VU2XXX 57N  RR TU!  That was cool  The problem
with this antenna besides the blown controller, is that I dont know where it is
pointing with the Tic ring. (Another story)  Had to look at it to aim it the
best I could, which was tough at night.  The other problem was using the
Steppir's 'quick connect' box had us sending the Steppir control wire up and
down 4 times with broken wires.

Getscores was fantastic!  All of it worked well.  It was really motivating to
be in the competitive ranks of K5ZD, AA3B and W1VE during the horse race all
weekend.  I was on top once!  I should have grabbed a screeenshot, because it
did not last...  Congrats to the winners!

# QSOs = 1213
# band changes = 314

I didnt beat on the 2nd radio during the first third of SS, and really hit it
hard during the rest.

Worked all of the Thursday night NS guys and lots of YCCC guys.

2010 Unlimited Score Summary: http://goo.gl/ALY9r
   80:  457
   40:  264
   20:  333