[3830] SS CW WO9S Single Op LP

To: Contest distribution <3830@contesting.com>, smc@w9smc.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW WO9S Single Op LP
From: "Jonathan L. Rosner" <rosner@hep.uchicago.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 12:02:51 -0600 (CST)
                       ARRL SWEEPSTAKES, CW

     Contest Dates : 06-Nov-11, 07-Nov-11
     Callsign Used : WO9S
          Operator : WO9S
          Category : Single-Op Low Power

  Default Exchange : NR A WO9S 53 IL

              Name : Jonathan L. Rosner
           Address : 5337 S. University Avenue
    City/State/Zip : Chicago, IL 60615
           Country : United States

         Team/Club : Society of Midwest Contesters

    BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points
  _______________________________________

    40CW      279        279        558
    20CW       92         92        184
    15CW       62         62        124
    10CW       27         27         54
  _____________________________________

  Totals      460        460        920      80 mults

     Final Score = 73,600 points.  Operated for about twelve hours.

Comments:

First SS operation from the home station (previous ones were from N9UC,
the University of Chicago club station which has now been dismantled
pending construction of a new building).  Limited space on our city lot;
room for a Cushcraft R6000 vertical on our porch (tunes 20 through 6), and
just enough room for a 40 meter sloping dipole with one end 7 ft above
ground and other 30 ft above ground.  Rig was an IC-706.  Only got started
around 10 PM Saturday night (returning from a trip).

A pretty slow start (I am rusty since our club station went QRT in the
spring) but eventually got some runs going, especially on 40 and 20.
Trolling for multipliers on the higher bands paid off, including running
into VY1EI before the pileup caught up with him.  The only pileup for a
mult was waiting 8 minutes for a turn with W0KT (NE).  But after working
VY1EI at 3 PM Sunday afternoon still was missing OK, KY, and AR, which
were eventually worked in that order.

I never felt limited by the modest station and the sweep was quite a
surprise.  Hope it holds up under log checking.