[3830] CQWW SSB K0TV M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K0TV M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 03:37:34 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): K2TE K1BG KB1TBU NE1B W1NR W1STT WO1N
Station: K0TV

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: FN42hr
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:   10     4        7
   80:   84    17       53
   40:   97    25       54
   20:  217    30       91
   15:  274    34      109
   10:  281    28      105
------------------------------
Total:  963   138      419  Total Score = 1,500,001

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Talk about Murphy!

At the start of the contest, I had not quite finished putting
the station back together from taking everything down to clean
up the rats nest of cables behind the rigs. One station was
on the air but the other wasn't quite ready. Good thing
KB1TBU and W1STT showed up early. We got things running fairly
quickly and got on the air.

Conditions were quite challenging the first night and we weren't
able to get any good runs going on any band. During the first day,
we found 10 meters was back and we got some pretty good numbers
on that band.

Then the snowstorm hit...

We started losing power in glitches that shut down all the computers
Saturday afternoon. The UPS wasn't holding anything up so every
time the power glitched, everything needed to be restarted. Then the
power went out for good. Nothing was running properly on the generator.
Without good power, there wasn't much we could do. It turned out
we lost power altogether for three days (we were lucky). Many others
in the Northeast lost power for more than a week.

MVP this year goes to K2TE who showed up on Sunday with a new air
filter for my generator and helped clean the trees off the driveway
so I could get in and out to resupply the gasoline for the generator.

I've since fixed the computer/rig UPS and added a second really big
UPS that one of my former employers discarded because they couldn't
make it work properly. Now all the rigs, computers, rotors, and even
the big amplifier rack is totally protected by two big UPS systems.

Secondary amplifiers still don't have full UPS protection but at this
point, we shouldn't have any problem with power going forward. Yes, yes
I know the horses have left the barn for this one but at least we
shouldn't have to deal with this again.

73, Jerry