[3830] SS SSB N6WIN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6win73@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N6WIN Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:53:43 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N6WIN
Operator(s): N6WIN
Station: N6WIN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ORG
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:  104
   40:  261
   20:  115
   15:  545
   10:  325
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first full weekend effort at SS. I didn't put in the full 24 as I
simply wanted to spend some time with the kids before work on Monday, but
otherwise it was the best that I could give. I was distracted trying to get my
SO2R controller to work properly, until I figured out that I broke a microphone
output relay and I was simply going to have to do without the second
transmitter. That did distract and frustrate me quite a bit on Saturday night
when the initial rate dropped down a few hours in and I had time to try my hand
at my new SO2R equipment. The positive is that I am good to go for SO2R next
weekend in the CQ WW CW as the rest of the hardware is now setup and has been
learned.

The initial goals were a clean sweep and 1,000 Q's. Both of those were done
with by Sunday morning. I was running some 80-100+ rate clock hours on 15m a
few hours into Sunday morning when I made the decision to go looking for PR. I
found Tony on 10m running a crowd of thinly organized contesters simplex. It
was taking a while for him to get each QSO into the log, but he was working
hard with the crowd and doing a decent job of it. It's times like this that I
am glad for 7 elements and the full gallon. Once he was in the log I breathed a
sigh of relief and took a forty minute break to play with the kids. Then it was
back to running 15m and milking it the rest of the afternoon until dinner
(quiting) time.

I also had a lot of fun running a loose competition with Bob, AA6PW. He is a
fellow SCCC member with a darned near identical setup of equipment as I and is
also located in the same section. In the end Bob won out as he was willing to
commit more time in the chair and used the pre-competition rules to it's
fullest as one should. We were within two QSOs at the time I needed to call
it... I do believe we will have lots of additional contests in the future in
which we can motivate each other to keep working hard in the name of local
competition.

This was a fun contest and I believe at least one SS per year is in order for
my contest commitments.

Operating equipment:
Elecraft K3
Acom 2000A