[3830] SS SSB NN3W(NN3Q) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ricnn3w@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB NN3W(NN3Q) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 06:58:16 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3Q
Station: N4RV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  488
   40:  767
   20:  566
   15:   66
   10:   25
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks for N4RV for hosting me at his QTH.  Jack did a lot of work getting ready
for the SS season and the station performed tremendously.

Another SS in the books.  I thought conditions were good. 20 sounded odd at the
beginning and while I had debated starting on 15, I think 20 was clearly the
right choice.  Stayed there longer than usual which was fine and then went to
40 which was crowded but was in great shape.  Stayed there longer than before,
given that my experience with 80 in prior weeks is that it is not the same 80
meters that we have seen in 2006-2010.  While 80 was good, there just was not
the volume that I usually see there.

Went to bed around 0800z with 77 sections logged (missing NL, AB, and PR).

Got back on at 1200z and the first thing I heard was a VO1 working some guy on
40.  I dialed up the EU wire yagi, called for the VO1 to go up 3, and he did.
That was done.  I found VE6 shortly thereafter on 20.  Now, where is PR?

Scoured 40, nope.  Put the yagi on 20, nope.  Tried 15, nope.  Tried 10, nope.
Uh oh.

Around 1500z, I happened across some wayward WP4 station on 10 meters doing a
special event/JOTA event.  Had to coax the exchange out of him for the sweep.
He was loud and as soon as I QRTed, the frequency erupted.  Poor guy.

Went back to try working the piles on 40 which failed.  This was interesting as
it appears that higher SFI completely drained 40 of activity meaning that the
normal leisurely process of working WPA, OH, SC, GA, and NLI stations was not
going to happen this year.  Instead, it would be a high band battle with my
focus being on 20.  I tried short runs on 15 and 10 but they were not
productive (even with monobanders).  It is interesting to look at scores from
the west coast v. east coast.  They spent a lot of time on 15 and 10.  I
couldn't see any value in it and any runs were slightly better than useless.

In fact, the entire day was pretty mediocre with rates in the 50s and 60s and
one AWFUL hour (where I wound up taking 30) at 19!  I wound up burning almost
all my off time by 2100z.  This turned out to be a good result as when I went
to 40 at 2200z (which coincidentally yielded me my second KP4 who called me),
my rate went through the roof and stayed high until I went QRT at 0228z.

Had one run-in with the pig farmers on 80, and some guy who tried to jam me for
two solid hours on 40.  Fail.

Oh well.  CQWW CW will be a nice change for the ear.