[3830] SS SSB N1LN SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N1LN SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:14:15 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  546
   40:  245
   20:  252
   15:  147
   10:  110
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Once again I was not able to keep my BIC for the allowable 24 hours, but due to
the outstanding band conditions and activity level my original goal of 1000 Qs
was reached very early. The new finish lines kept being moved out but when the
1300 Q goal was reached it was time to rejoin the rest of a typical Sunday
afternoon....Football.

Saturday evening started on 15 meters with a goal of quickly working all the
sections in US zones 6, 7, 0, KL7, KH6 and possibly the western Canadian
provinces.  That ended up working well. In the first 80 minutes there were 43
confirmed sections in the log and the cluster was only used to work NT.
Unfortunately, I focused on 15 and 20 too long and my move to 40 came too late.
The band was already very crowded, so after trying to get a decent run frequency
a few times, the next gamble was decided upon.  Go to 75 early and camp out
while focusing on 40 mtr SP on the other rig.  At 0025 UTC I moved one K3 to
3815 and stayed there for the next 4.5 hours.  That move put 458 of the 75 mtr
Qs in the log. An average rate of 101 for SS was not too bad.

At some point in the 75 meter run my section count reached 79 with PR being the
only missing mult.  At about 0745 UTC I saw PR popup on the cluster.  After a
quick jump from my run frequency, PR was in the log and the sweep completed at
0750 UTC.  It was time to head off to bed.

Sunday morning started up again at 1200 UTC Sunday for a few more 40 and 75 Qs
then off to 15 and 20.  At about 1400 UTC it was time for Murphy to arrive.  My
lower 15 meter yagi developed a high SWR.  So, time for a quick tower climb.  As
there was nothing visual that could be identified, all connections were removed
and reinstalled and the SWR came back to normal.  Fortunately that was the
final Murphy visit.

The rest of the day was spent reaching the final goal of 1300 Qs and
contributing to the overall PVRC club score.

73, Bruce N1LN