[3830] SS SSB W2ID(@K9RS) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W2ID(@K9RS) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 20:45:55 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W2ID
Operator(s): W2ID
Station: K9RS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

With huge thanks to my host K9RS, this was my smoothest, most trouble-free SS in
33 years. Therefore, probably the most fun one, too. Ray did a tremendous amount
of prep work to have the radios, antennas, and all the SO2R hardware and
software completely 100% operational, so all I had to do was show up and start
calling CQ!  I spent almost the entire contest CQing, and had VERY few QSYs.

Before the contest, I decided my goal was to beat the old EPA section record
(which was 1,495 QSOs) by at least 100 QSOs. Amazingly, I ran out of operating
time exactly upon reaching that goal. I guess that shows the value in setting
goals.

This effort proves that you can still do reasonably well from the Northeast
even if you avoid 20 meters.  I made less than 100 Q's on 20m, and upon looking
at the rates, realized that even that little bit of time on 20 was probably a
bad idea, because I could have probably done better on either 40 or 15 at the
same time.

It was great to work all my old SS buddies, but what was really AWESOME (and
many others have already said this), was to work all of the check 10's and
11's.  Most of these new participants sounded like REALLY good operators, too!
That is fantastic, and I look forward to seeing everyone again next year.
Hopefully by then I'll have a station set up at home...