[3830] CQWW CW K5AF SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K5AF SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:56:04 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5AF
Operator(s): K5AF
Station: K5AF

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

  160:    3     2        2
   80:   41    15       25
   40:  180    23       67
   20:  135    25       65
   15:  273    31       79
   10:  222    24       64
------------------------------
Total:  854   120      302  Total Score = 988,746

Club:

Comments:

Wow! When a part-time effort comes up just shy of a million points, conditions
must be exceptional!

Actually, I had planned a serious effort and had cleared my calendar of music
gigs, but was offered an engagement that I couldn't afford to refuse for
Saturday night.  That took me away for about 7 hours, and after hauling and
setting up equipment, I was in no condition to stay up all night and operate on
Sunday morning.

10M was the gift that kept on giving!  I forgot how productive it can be when
it is open.  When it sounded like it was about to close, the band would serve
up a whole new group of Qs and mults. 15M was very good, 20M had its moments,
but sounded almost like 40M during the daylight hours.  40M, on the other hand,
opened early and stayed open late.  I was working deep into Europe an hour
before sunset, and was still hearing JAs an hour after sunrise.  80M was
incredible, with many S-9++ signals from Europe.

40M was so good that I spent most of the first night there, and planned to do
some more 80M on the second night when I returned from my music job (but we
know how that went!)

A couple of observations:  First, the low band openings (80/40M) into UA-UR
were absolutely unprecedented.  I cannot recall a year when they were better.
Also, the high-band openings to South America were solid and consistent, and
the operators there are taking their game to a much higher level, a very good
trend for the future.

Same old irritant!  We need to make a rule that when running, stations must
identify a minimum of every third QSO, or face being penalized. I don't like
the thought of "contest police", but we certainly could flag some of the
offenders and take a look at the recorded spectrum to verify who the culprits
are.  I am sure that the dupe rates for everyone would go down, scores would go
up, and we wouldn't have as many "hornets nests" across the spectrum.  Overall,
it would make life much better for everyone.

Along these lines, the crew at PJ2T deserves kudos for IDing EVERY QSO.  I
noted that they had large, but well-managed pileups, and I'd wager that they'll
have some very excellent scores.

Overall, this was one amazing experience.  I was never bored the entire time I
was in the chair.  I felt an incredible confidence in my equipment and
antennas, modest as they are, and felt I could work anlmost everything I could
hear.  This is probably the best WW experience that I've had in years.

Thanks, Sol, here's to you!!!

Equipment:  K3s to low wires