[3830] CQWW CW N7WA SOSB/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n7wa@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N7WA SOSB/20 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:47:31 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  613    34      101
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Well, that was fun. It's been a couple years since I've done
a single op for CQWW CW. The class of choice is S/B 20M LP.
Sounds like I missed a lot of action on the other bands but
I can't be competitive from the NW in All Band (and I need
my beauty sleep) so 20 it is.

This was a personal best so I was pleased about that. If the
log passes muster (and nobody else does better), it should
be a new W7 record which was a low hurdle (147K) to start with.
(I'm surprised somebody hasn't busted it before.)

Not to sound like a whiner but I was expecting more out of
Europe. It was ok but not runnable from the NW. Even the
stations that were on were frequently watery sounding.
I expect the poor conditions on the High latitude paths may
have had an effect. (Mid and Low latitude paths were normal.)
Thought things might change on Sunday when Europe was workable at
4AM but it remained consistently so-so. Maybe another 10dB
would have helped but the amp stayed off.  Japan, being a
mid-latitude path was great as were the hops into Africa
and south Asia. Many more BY's showing up but they are
consistently hard of hearing. Somehow, I expect there
may be a higher noise floor wherever their stations are
located.

I heard several juicy mults (Qatar, Saudi Arabia,
and South Sudan) that I just passed on because of the
massive pileups in hopes that they would show up later
lonely and begging but it was not to be. (That does work for
quite a few mults though.) In 20 years of contesting, I
did work my first India in a test.

It's finally good to see reasonable propagation on all bands.
cheers
dink