[3830] CQWW CW K3TN SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K3TN SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 02:56:52 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: 05
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:   10     5        7
   80:   43    11       26
   40:  211    26       88
   20:  273    25       89
   15:  319    27      100
   10:  208    24       92
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3/KPA500 to OCF Windom Dipole at 45', 51' T on 160

I ran the K3 with the second receiver in SO2V mode and just had a blast. I used
the Reverse Beacon Network, started out doing dual S&P and had a 120 hour and
then many more above 100. This was the first time I've had different signals in
each ear in a real contest, so it was a learning experience. I guess CQ WW CW is
a good one to learn in, as you only really have to monitor the exchange vs.
really copy it.

I found the RBN accuracy to be very high, but I definitely had to check the
callsigns. There were the usual EK3LR and RW3LPL spots, but many fewer than
previous years. It's pretty impressive how quickly the RBN (even just using W3
and W4 skimmers) fills up the band map and the available mults window.

On Sunday, I came across a few abandoned frequencies and did some running but
with my wambly station the rate wasn't much higher than "RBN/SO2V-powered dual
S&Ping" but running is still more fun - there is something about actually
copying and typing in (vs. clicking on) a call that just can't be beat. Also,
pulling a call out of a pileup will always be more fun than throwing a call
into a pileup. I tentatively tried to use the second receiver to pickup QSOs
while running - another learning experience. I made about a few QSOs that way
out but definitely not very smoothly...

80 and 160 were pretty stinko and the Asian openings for me on the high bands
weren't great. But on every band stations in any zone beginning with the number
3 were just booming in - from Africa to Hawaii to VK, amazing. Zone 33 must have
been groaning with the weight of all those transceivers and antennae.

It was a busy weekend in real life, and I actually was able to put more time in
than I thought I would, but more time would have been more fun. With these
conditions and the technology I'm amazed at breaking 1K Qs with 500W, a low
wire and a 1/4 time effort! Sure is a long way from paper logging and a
TS-830...