[3830] CQWW CW ES1WST(WS4T) SOSB/10 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, garyhess999@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW ES1WST(WS4T) SOSB/10 QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:00:14 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ES1WST
Operator(s): WS4T
Station: ES1WST

Class: SOSB/10 QRP
QTH: Tallinn
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  399    27       93
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

That was incredibleâ?¦so much DX blasting in from everywhere!

So after two years of CQ WW low-band exile, I built a 3-element 10m yagi one
week before the contest and mounted it on my roof. Target: 100 DXCC and the
Baltic 10m QRP record (81.5k by UQ2GTF in 1989).

Sadly, I couldnâ??t reach 100 DXCC (where were LA, OZ, LY, EW, UA2, ER, ER6,
CUâ?¦?) but I beat the old record by a good 25%.

Best moment: Guam on long path. After trying hard to break the pile-up on short
path, I turned my antenna west as the day wore on. Suddenly, I came across him
calling CQ with no answers and quite amazingly, he picked me up pretty quickly.
Once he was in the log, I turned the antenna back east to make sure I wasn't
imagining things, since LP QSOs are such a rarity with QRP.

Negatives: Hearing and calling at least 30 more DXCC with no luck, and the
shortness of the day. Here in Tallinn, there were only 6h 52m between sunrise
and sunset on Sunday. The bands opened for me around 7:30 AM each morning and
closed by 5:30 PM or 6:00 PM each day, with signal levels degrading slowly
starting about an hour before the end.