[3830] CQWW CW K8AJS SOSB/15 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K8AJS SOSB/15 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:54:54 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K8AJS
Operator(s): K8AJS
Station: K8AJS

Class: SOSB/15 LP
QTH: OHIO
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:    0     0        0
   20:    0     0        0
   15:  883    32      120
   10:    0     0        0
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Rig: Yaesu FT2000 100 watts
Antenna: 3 element quad up 65 feet
Software: WriteLog 10.81d

It's great to have the quad back up! After a long summer of repair and
reconstruction after last winter's ice storm broke a spreader, it went back on
the tower the end of October, for a late start to the contest season. This was
the first real exercise to see how it's working. I was happy with the results.

Propagation was good, not great, but definitely better than it was last year. I
had great hours running into Europe, thank you to all the stations that replied
and helped me fill the log.

I saw one earlier comment from a 15-meter low-power single-bander that he was
forced to do all search and pounce, because of running low power. Don't you
believe it! With a good antenna, you can definitely have success calling CQ,
and make better rates than you can using just S&P. Yes, you need S&P to get as
many multipliers as possible, but I got a lot of new multipliers answering my
CQs also, and good ones like A7, HZ, TA3, OH0 and more.

But running is about quantity, and my numbers seem to indicate reasonable
success in that area. Starting at 9:00 AM local Saturday morning, I ran for
about an hour and 15 minutes and put 81 stations in the log. I broke for a few
minutes of S&P and then started running again. Three hours later I had added
another 179 stations. Several hours of runs on Sunday produced equally positive
results. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't run using low power.

I had excellent luck into Europe, but on the contrary, performance into the Far
East was disappointing. I did work 45 JAs, and put Australia (including zone
29), New Zealand, Hawaii and Guam into the log, but calls into China, Taiwan,
East Malaysia and Vietnam produced no results. Even when nobody else was
calling, I couldn't get any of those stations to hear me. Low power perhaps was
a limitation here. Oh well, better luck next year.

Thanks to everyone who worked me, and I hope to see you again in the next
contest!