[3830] CQWW CW K0TV M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0TV M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:54:55 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): K2TE, K1BG, NE1B, W1END, W1MJ, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: FN42hr
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   25     8       16
   80:  612    22       93
   40: 1311    33      129
   20:  839    39      126
   15: 1063    31      121
   10: 1108    32      126
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This year's running of the CW "World War" was the best for us ever.

As usual, the last hours before the contest were getting ready for the
start and making priority decisions on what to fix and what to leave.
A last minute delay in the arrival of some parts for the stack/4 square
controller simplification put that task down to the bottom. I probably
should have spent more time getting the beverages back after our freak
October snowstorm than getting the wiring done for the controller box.

Personnel issues hit us a bit but several operators stepped up to fill
the void. Rex, K1HI was unavailable this year due to a family emergency
and all our thoughts go out to him with best wishes for a speedy and full
recovery. Rex has been one of our most stalwart and prolific operators. He
was sorely missed.

One of our usual late night operators wanted to try 10 meters this year and
boy did he have a number of great runs. Ten is definitely back and everyone's
score will sure show it. The only band outperforming 10 was 40.

Top band was down considerably from last year. Since our beverages were out
of commission, the shortfall was understandable. Unfortunately my chain saw
won't be back until this week so we'll be pushing to get them back up for
the ARRL 160 contest next weekend.

80 meters worked very well but since the higher sunspot numbers have pushed
activity up to the higher bands, activity was down. We also recorded fewer
countries and zones than last year.

40 meters was handled very well by everyone who operated. Numbers were down
just a bit from last year.

20 meters was way down from last year except for the zone count. We managed
to get all zones except 23. It would have been nice to get all 40 for the
first
time but it was not to be.

15 meters was just about the same as last year.  A few more countries and
zones
but basically the same.

10 meters was a blast. K2TE was the principal operator and he had a number of
really great runs. The only band we got more mults and Qs than 10 was 40. The
new stacks did a great job. When I put them up two years ago, someone asked me
on one of the local repeaters why was I bothering to put up antennas on
10 meters when conditions were so bad. I answered him with, "I'm not putting
up
the antennas for last year's conditions, they're going up for next year's
conditions." Looks like we got what I was hoping to get.

Some tweaks are in order between now and ARRL DX and we should have them all
in
place by then.

MVP goes to Ed, K2TE, this year. Without his help, the antennas wouldn't have
been in nearly as good shape as they were. An honorable mention goes out to
K1HI for the use of his K3. We missed Rex this year but we know he was with
us in spirit.

Congratulations go to K1LZ and KB1H for their terrific scores.

Thanks to everyone who called in. We'll see everyone next week in the spring
for ARRL DX. We'll be on for all the 160 contests and we may do some RTTY this
season.

73, Jerry - K0TV