[3830] CQWW CW N8II SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N8II SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:59:59 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   88    21       49
   15:
   10: 1600    35      126
------------------------------
Total: 1600    35      126  Total Score = 727,398

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I echo W4ZV's comments, conditions great into EU, but down into Asia compared to
even earlier this week. I worked T6MO (Eric, K9GY serving our country) running
100W to a G5RV Tuesday around sunrise. That was not possible over the weekend,
but did get a skewed path QSO with a pretty loud UP0L and VU2KMS called in on
Sunday. We need to figure out a way to keep the sun up longer in EU, Hi! JA
QSO's were 55 and I pretty well milked the openings for all they were worth,
the band died to JA around 2315Z Saturday and maybe 2310Z Sunday. Sunday there
was only a 15 minute window when the average CQ'ing JA was actually moving the
S meter. Activity from the former Eastern block is very strong in the WW,
Ukrainian Q's were limited only by the amount of time the band was open with
Germany leading the EU
QSO total with 257. Several Caribbean countries that were active today or jsut
before the WW on CW were apparently not present on 10 such as FJ and PJ7.
The band opened short path to EU (scatter signals workable proable an hour
earlier, but wasn't up quite that early) right around sunrise at 1215Z
Saturday. Sunday EU start was a slower process with running starting around
1235Z after a few failed attempts, but conditions to EU may have been better
overall and the opening lasted a bit later, but 1620Z was the end of any decent
run rate for me. There were still some EA's, F's, EI's around past 19Z.
ZL's were in early starting sometime in the 17Z hour on Saturday (5AM in ZL)
and were coming thru well until sunset when they gradually faded out. Guam was
very well represented with four stations starting with KG6DX boomimg in
starting around 2045Z; if only the JA's were half as loud as Guam! Also logged
two AH0's, ZK2, E51MAN, TX8, VK's including VK6 and VK8. I too found YB1ALL and
9M2IDJ on the LP Sunday in the 19Z hour = middle of night over there, never have
heard that opening at that time of day in 40 years on the air! I thought I may
have had a few more Q's/hour possible Saturday and was surprised to find rates
from 12Z hour thru 16Z up to 120/hr, 168, 144, 131, and 127 a personal best for
me in any contest. Sunday, I was in prime territory as I was Saturday on a
beautifully clear spot, then someone moved in below me follwed by one of the
major single band contenders firing out CQ's blatantly QRM'ing only about 150
Hz above me and would not QSY, he deserves some NIL's from stations working me.
Despite the major handicap I still managed 126 Q's in the 14Z and 116 in the 15Z
hour, but repeats slowed me down. Several others pounded out CQ's without
checking if the frequency was in use.

Thanks for all of the Q's especially from EU and the guys who waited thru the
pile-ups. Most pile-up manners were pretty good, but a few dumped in their
calls in the middle of a QSO including the mutli-ops trying to squeeze out
those extra Q's, such is life with RBN. There were ana amazing number of
countries active, the WW brings out the most DX possible in 48 hours.