[3830] CQWW CW VE3FDT SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3fdt@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3FDT SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:19:57 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3FDT
Operator(s): VE3FDT
Station: VE3FDT

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Brampton, ON
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  144     7       10
   80:  211     9       23
   40:  154    19       58
   20:  580    28       78
   15:  412    28       81
   10:  429    26       77
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Radio: Ten-Tec Jupiter
Antennas: 5 band hexbeam @ 40ft & DX-LB+ short dipole @ 25 ft (when it worked)
Software: N1MM

Murphy's strike came early: a couple of hours into the contest I lost my trusty
DX-LB+ shortened dipole. I started hearing severe on-and-off random "white
noise" bursts and signal attenuation, and discovered corresponding incredibly
high VSWR kicking in stochastically. Operating on 40 m and down became
"challenging".

Less low bands meant more sleep.

Other than that it was "business as usual": Metric tons of "big guns" running
and not signing their calls for eternity. (Relying on spots, I suppose, and
leaving out the unassisted guys totally). "Power plant bullies" trying to push
me out of my CQ frequency. (I survived a 2 hours run on 20 m with 5 long
lasting deafening "tenants" moving in to my humble abode.) My nasty incurable
habit of wasting too much time on "juicy" multipliers with no return on
investment. (That some of them actually hear me is what fuels the underlying
illusion of being able to break through the pile-ups.)

"Another day at the office." Looking forward to the next year.

Oh, I almost forgot: great conditions!