[3830] CQWW CW OE5OHO SOSB(A)/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, oe5oho@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OE5OHO SOSB(A)/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:33:50 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OE5OHO
Operator(s): OE5OHO
Station: OE5OHO

Class: SOSB(A)/10 HP
QTH: Linz
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10: 1356    39      152
------------------------------
Total: 1356    39      152  Total Score = 590,190

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

After 2 years of 40m single band and with the high SFI index I decided to try
10m this time.

Despite that I improved the old OE record (dating back to 2002) by about 100k
points I had mixed feelings after the dust finally settled. Looking at the
numbers from other participants I see my feeling confirmed. While my multiplier
total is fine for my QTH and setup I couldn't get a decent run to improve the
QSO number. Partly it's due to the high city noise and certainly because I just
had one rotate-able antenna. I simply had to rotate the antenna for every
multiplier (away from NA or AS runs).

Having two directions nowadays is such a "must have" that I felt like driving a
VW Beatle in a race against *place-your-favorite-F1-car-here*. I also missed the
different take-off angles provided by a stack of at least 2 yagis. Maybe I miss
all this things after I was QRV during this years ARRL international DX contest
from Ivan's top-notch station OE3K. But one must use what one has available...

I really tried to work anyone calling me - if I didn't get you into my log it's
due to the high city noise :-(

But there are positive aspects as well:

Great activity! If someone says "CW is dead" then just look what happened last
weekend. Okay, maybe we are all Old Old Man - but hey, what a great party!

Like Olli, DH8BQA, already described in his write-up there have been some short
mini-openings to SA and central America about an hour after the band went QRT on
Sunday evening. I was hoping for KL7 to pop out of the noise via LP but all I
got was a multiplier from the Caribbean on SP.
Funny to see so many KL7 stations around and after their local sunrise on the
RBN â?" for me it was like â??where the freaks come out at nightâ??.
Unfortunately not a beep from them via LP...

Thanks for all who tried and/or succeeded to work me.

73 de Oliver

Rig:   FT-1000MP (SO1R â?" the REAL thing)
       Amp

Ant:   8ele @ 30m (OB16-3)
       Multiband-GP (RX only - used for a small number of EU QSO)