[3830] CQWW CW CR6T(OH1NOA) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW CR6T(OH1NOA) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:50:44 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CR6T
Operator(s): OH1NOA
Station: CR6T

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Silveirinho
Operating Time (hrs): 43

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 3317    37      132
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

This was my 10th CQWWCW from Portugal! Thanks again for hospitality to Santos
family CT1DVV, CT1ESV, CT1YQM and others including 3yo Ema who amused me with
her visits during the contest.

Equipment:
Kenwood TS-870
Alpha 91b running 800-900 wtts
4/4/4el yagis (middle fixed to North, used mainly only up and bottom)
KLM KT34XA

This week was same time extreme fun and extreme frustration. All started before
the trip when Lufthansa informed that they have cancelled my Thursday flight to
Porto. There happened to be a general strike in CT. There was same strike also
last year but it was a day earlier! So only chance was to book new flight for
Friday morning. Which means that I left home 0100 am by bus to Helsinki airport
and arrived finally to ham shack via Frankfurt, Oporto and Coimbra around 1700z.
That about long good sleep before the contest ... actually the last good night
sleep was on Wed/Thu night.

I found out that TS-870 was not functioning properly and Icom which I was
planning to use, was also in repair. When driving 50 watts or more, TS-870 lost
its monitor and started to make a long delay before changing from TX to RX. Only
way to operate was then to reduce the power, I was limited to less than one
kilowatt instead of normal 1,5 kW.

The first night was good. I worked some 300 qsos before worked any one-pointers
and ended to get some 400 US stations in log before the morning. The first day I
had over 2200 qsos, but the band died dramatically after 22z. the second morning
started with interesting propagation but then something happened - couldnÂ't get
anything going. Last year I had hour by hour over 100 qsos on Sunday, now only
40 to 60 qsos per hour. It crashed my hopes for over 3700 qsos and 1,4 Mio.
Maybe it was something going on in the sun that time. Things improved around
17z and until 22z the band was quite ok to West. Sunday highlights were very
weak T2V at 18z, a bit later XE for double mult and then my last qso:
HC2/KF6ZWD for zone 10. I missed zones 2, 34 and 39. But finished with my
personal single band record.

Btw, during the first night HK3TU made some kind of record: while I was
listening to him, it took 7 minutes before he sent his callsign for the first
time. On Sunday one VP9 almost got there with 5 minutes.