[3830] CQWW CW N1UR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, edsawyer@sbelectronics.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N1UR SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 03:16:03 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:   43    10       28
   80:  280    16       68
   40:  562    24       86
   20:  518    25       89
   15:  605    26       88
   10:  750    28      100
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

What a fantastic weekend.  I have been looking forward to a
weekend like this since I started building this station in
2004.  And I was ready for it when it arrived.  As I can tell
from the posts, I wasn't the only one ready.

My personal best was set last year at 4.3 Million with a 3.85
Million net.  Ouch!  But I had a major software failure mid
contest and my log was unstable.  That is fixed now. I usually
run 7 - 9% reduction (not proud of that, but it is what it is
for now) so this score should produce a 4.2 - 4.3 Million net,
 which if it is the top scire this year will break K1TO's
record of 4.29 Million gross and 4.14 Million net

So a new personal best and a chance to break the record.

I found both 160 and 80M conditions to be better than the SSB
weekend and was actually on pair after the first night with
last year's surreal low band numbers (hard to believe).  But
neither of the low bands delivered the Saturday night numbers,
not sure why, as the conditions were not bad to EU at all.

40M was excellent but my mult total was off.  Not sure why.

20M was actually a very productive band for me.  A little
breathing room makes for great runability for us Low Power
guys.  Although many of the juicy mults that often call in
were not to be this year (assume they were frolicking on
15 and 10).

15M was not as good as the SSB weakend but still great.
My mults were not as good as I hoped but that is because
I was really concentrating on running much of the time
and purposely traded mult sweeps and big piles for rate.
The result on Q totals was my best ever Qs for CQ WW of
2758 and close to my all time high CW Q total in a contest
(3050 Qs).

10M was fantastic, although I think SSB weekend was a little
better.  Rate finally started dropping off Sunday but
15 and 20M were so starved that it quickly returned as I
ran the bands for about 90 mins each working the MUF up to EU.

Best 10 rate was 210, interestingly not a personal high for me
which is 240 from ARRL DX CW, and best 60 rate was 160, and best
120 rate was 150.  The most interesting thing there is the 120
rate being so close to the 60 rate.  This showed a consistancy of
great rate during the day.  In fact I had 10 hours over 100
but as importantly very few hours under 50.

I noticed a significant reduction in JA activity (overall) on CW
vs the SSB weekend.  Not sure if that was prop or activity.

My goal was 3000 Qs and 5 Million points and breaking the
record with enough room to survive K1TOs unbelievably
low point reduction (3.5%).  Missed the first two somewhat
but seemed to have achieved the last.

Thanks to all contesters for making this a great experience
for all of us.  And thanks to my wife, Christine, KB1PQN,
for all of her support for this crazy hobby.

73

Ed  N1UR

Antennas:

160M: Vert T - 65ft
80M: 2el phased array at 65 ft and 3 slopers
40M: 3el at 80ft and 2 el south at 45ft
20M:  4/4 and 3el South  70ft tower
15M: 6/6 and 3el south   70ft tower
10M:  5/5 and 4 el south  70Ft tower