[3830] CQWW CW VE7UF M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE7UF M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 05:20:50 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE7UF
Operator(s): VE7FO VE7AX VE7YBH VE7MR VE7UF
Station: VE7UF

Class: M/M HP
QTH: IOTA NA36 Courtenay
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  388    12       24
   80:  820    24       46
   40: 1001    33      117
   20: 1113    38      129
   15:  918    37      110
   10: 1097    28       92
------------------------------

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I was glad to have full time operators Jim, VE7FO, and Don, VE7AX join me in
this contest.  Also very welcome were Phil, VE7YBH for the second time and
Cezar, VE7MR for the first time. Fred, VE7IO and Brian, VE7WO were on the
schedule but had issues that prevented them from being part of the team for
this one.

The weather was bad for a few days before the contest and a wind and rain storm
caused lots of noise but no other dammage on Saturday night.  We had to not use
the highest antennas of our stacks during this storm.

I had high expectations for 10 meters before the contest but the flux dropped
just before the contest.  I was on 10M for the Saturday morning opening to EU
and could hear some weak EU signals with the antennas where they were left at
Friday's close toward the southeast.  When I turned the antennas northward the
signal levels dropped--bad sign.  Only mannaged to work a few and what little
opening there was didn't last long either day.  The band was not bad to other
directions.  15M and 20M were better but didn't manage any good EU runs.  40M
was surprisingly good.  Didn't have trouble working EU both days and we had the
best run to JA in years.  It was great to have many more BY calls in the log
too.  80M was also very good to Asia and NA but only 3 EU calls in the log.
160 had poor activity but we added about 100 Qs from NA, JA, and the Pacific in
the closing hours Sunday Morning.

I added the switching circuitry to high power band pass filters I built to
enable the station to use the two stacks of 3 TH6 tribanders on all 3
stations--one on 10, one on 15 and one on 20 at the same time.  There were some
issues of interference that more filtering did not help, but considering we
broke the station Q and score records for this contest it must have helped.
The station could use a 4th position now with the high bands still open after
dark. I have enough equipment so it's mostly just a matter of carpentry.  I
think I will stay home this winter and get it done.  No equipment failures this
time except one amp.

I could see an emotional high in all the operators' faces after this one.  We
had a busy good time.  As usual our thanks to all that called us.

73, Duane VE7UF