[3830] CQWW CW 3V8SS(KF5EYY) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ash.kf5eyy@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 3V8SS(KF5EYY) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:22:46 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 3V8SS
Operator(s): KF5EYY
Station: 3V8SS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Sousse
Operating Time (hrs): 35:40

  160:   62     6       27
   80:  259     7       46
   40:  504    16       52
   20:  784    20       67
   15:  930    23       84
   10:  877    24       68
------------------------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

This year's CQWW CW Contest witnessed my second participation as SO. My first
try was back in 2008 finished happy with 123 QSOs as a new comer to CW. The
year after, I operated the Multiplier station with 3V3S Crew (M/S LP). In 2010,
I was glad leaving the chair for Andy RA9CKQ for his 3V3A Activity.

After my good results in the SSB Legs, I was preparing well in advance for
another personal achievment in the CW Leg especially with the bands being in a
good shape. Preparations convered daily CW Training on Morse Runner, previous
years' logs' analysis, and the most important; testing a new gun for the
fight.... the FT-857 from Yeasu!!
What triggered this idea is the fact that club's TS-450s has only a 500Hz
built-in filter for CW which make any LP station struggle due to the adjuscent
stations coming. So I took my FT857 and came to Sousse the weekend preceeding
the contest to try its DSP Feature! I quickly made he decision; This is it!

By the same occasion, I repaired my 160/80 GP after loosing 3m from its total
lenght making unresonnant on 160... Few mults on top band would be highly
valuable!

I came to the station on Friday morning; checked my setup, got on the air, all
works perfectly!
Afterwards, I went to look around in my lovely city; it's always nice and
peaceful!

Back to the Radio club for rest. I was glad having a 3 hours nap just before
the contest. I don't remember how I could overcome my excitement, but I did it
anyway!!
Operating half an hour prior to contest start put me on the cluster and on
bandmaps and generated pileups since the begining. I quickly realized how great
the Yeasu's DSP Filter is! I felt as if I'm the only one on the band with no
adjuscent station in my headset!

In fact, FT-857 has 3 filters; 60, 120 and 240Hz. During this contest, I always
started with 240Hz and then narrow it when the pileup grows up to reduce the
number of heard stations. I know it'll prevent me to hear station that are not
calling on my exact QRG, but this brought the pileup to a manageable level for
me.

QSO rate was exceeded 100 per hour in most of the contest hours, peaking 128.
It's not the best I could do, but poeple were NOT listening in and they just
keep QRMing making things going slow and too tough to handle. I was sometimes
obliged to change the frequency!!

Condx were fabulous in ALL bands! I did run all the time and only S&P twice
during band change. Mutipliers figure might be better.

Chair time was limited to 36 hours as I slept a lot (4.5 hours) and had to
leave early back to capital Tunis as Monday is a working day.
I failed to reach my set objective of 4000 QSOs but I'm happy with the result
setting my personal threshold high for upcoming events "inshallah".

Station:
Rig: (The amazing:) YEASU FT-857
20m-15m-10m Ant:  7 Elt CT-37HF
40m Ant:  Vertical GP with two elevated radials
80m-160m Ant:  Vertical
Software: WinTest v3.4

73 Ash ~ KF5EYY
Tunisian Op of 3V8SS Radio Club