[3830] CQWW CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:00:40 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DF2PY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48.0
Radios: SO2R

  160:  276    11       51
   80:  638    18       61
   40: 1110    27       82
   20:  961    26       66
   15:  786    32       93
   10:  647    33       82
------------------------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Once upon a time, there were all those brave CW contesting souls hoping that the
good days of whopping DX, great rates and big scores would eventually return
â?¦
Given the unfortunate preparation which found me in hospital and the station
with plenty of necessary maintenance after major flooding damage in summer, it
seems like a fairy tale I was able to participate at all. My host Wolf, DF2PY,
worked like mad to get the needed repairs done, which in turn revived my
competitive spirit. I believe that in the end both the station and the OP got
ready just in time.
Since I never seem to get a run going when the contest kicks off, I started to
S&P 40 up and down for exactly an hour with a rate over 100 Qs before settling
down high up in the band. After this initial hour I had the first radio CQing
almost throughout the remainder of the contest and hit the second radio hard
whenever the rate permitted. This concentration on rate is a major shift in
paradigm for me, but operating unassisted these days means that you have to
deal with rare mults that ID only after what feels like an eternity and cluster
induced piles on the lowbands that are unbreakable. As both effects are annoying
to say the least and I was in there to have fun, running like crazy seemed like
the appropriate strategy. Turns out that at half time I was at 2411 Qs, 431
mults and 2.3 million points. This was when I realized that the DL record was
within reach. Problem of course is that typically before sunrise on Sunday and
beyond the 36 hour mark fatigue kicks in big time for me. Had lots of micro
sleep episodes then, and I can only suspect what this will do to my UBN report.
No hallucinations, though maybe this year I was just too tired to differentiate
them from what I suspected to be reality, hi. Highlights on the second day are
too numerous to tell, but bagging 12 mults plus 1 double mult from South
America and the Caribbean on an otherwise empty ten meter band within 15
minutes on the second radio late in the evening on Sunday as well as having my
first and only VU call in for a juicy double mult on 40 with just 25 minutes to
go, just to be followed 20 seconds later by a JT are the essence that contesting
tales are made of. With the final whistle I completed QSO # 4418, a total I
never thought possible. The claimed score is 3.9 per cent above the current DL
record, which I do not think will be enough to stand after log checking.
But then, I do not really care since I did have fun and I am grateful I could
participate in this CQWW. Very sincere thanks go to Wolf, DF2PY & family for
taking care of me, to Axel, DK4US for supporting me IT-wise, and to my XYL and
the boys for everything.
Thanks all for the Qs, happy holidays,
 â?¦ and all the brave CW contesting brethren lived happily ever after.