[3830] ARRL 160 K0TV M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K0TV M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 18:54:53 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): K1EP, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/S LP
QTH: FN42hr
Operating Time (hrs): 29

Total:  QSOs = 905  Sections = 70  Countries = 20  Total Score = 169,650

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The freak snowstorm at the end of October this year did
a real job on all the beverages. Some were worse than
others. My chain saw ended up in the shop and still hasn't
come back but K1HI able to lend me his saw. I was actually
able to get all the beverages back up and running before
the contest started.

The operator schedule was in a state of flux until Saturday.
Two of the usual operators had bowed out but Ed, K1EP
indicated a desire to operate from someplace other than his
condo this year. I was happy to host him. He is a fine op
and made a great contribution this year.

We both found activity way down from last year. We expect
everyone was burnt out from last weekend's great conditions
on 10 meters. Conditions on topband were down this weekend.
We had decided to run in the M/S LP category this year with
the hopes that we could turn in a winning score. When
you're trying to compete with KC1XX and K1LZ, there's not
much room at the top. So we backed off to low power and
managed to work most everything we could hear.

Last year we got almost 300 more QSOs and 36 more mults
than this year but it looks like everyone else was down
too. We were also running high power last year with low
this year.

Both Ed and I had a great time this year but with the
SFI at 160 throughout the contest, this would have been
a better weekend for 10 meters but we've been enjoying
great conditions on topband for several years, I guess
it's time for the high bands to come back.

Thanks to all the stations that called us this weekend
and we'll look for everyone in the TBDC coming up in a
few weeks.

73, Jerry - K0TV