[3830] ARRL 160 K9MMS Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9MMS@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9MMS Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 22:15:54 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 653  Sections = 74  Countries = 10  Total Score = 112,224

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

K3 + INV L and Marconi wires + Win-Test logging
Assorted short RX antennas -- including new Hi-Z, 2-3 triangle array

64% of QSOs via CQ runs.  Lower totals than my score last year for QSOs,
sections, and DX.  Also less op time this year.

Missed the first few hours of activity on Friday and Saturday nights due to
doing antenna work and adjustments.  The start of Saturday antenna work was
delayed due to rain during much of the day.

Sections missed:  WCF (heard K5KG, S&P and gone), PR, VI (heard KV4FZ CQ EU
then gone), SDG, ND (heard KD4POJ S&P and gone), and YT.  California stations
were sparse this time.

DX worked (in QSO order): PJ2T, VP2MWG, P40TA, CE1/K7CA, ZF2AH, FM5CD, OL7M,
E77DX, XE2S, and YN2CC.

KH6LC called in during a CQ run.  Later, found and worked KH6ZM.  Later on,
they both popped up out of the noise less than an hour before my sunrise on
Sunday.  Worked NL7Z shortly before my sunrise on Sunday.

Not much DX heard.  From EU, only heard (and worked) OL and E7.  Surprised to
not hear some of the top band regulars such as G3JMJ, F5IN, SM4CAN, IV3PRK,
etc.  Surprised to not hear more Caribbean stations.  Did not hear YN2CC until
Sunday AM about 2 hours before my S.R.  Did not hear other Caribbean stations
that were active several days earlier on 160.

COMPLAINT:
     I realize that observance of a DX window at 1830 to 1835 kHz can sometimes
be controversial; however, the rules for the ARRL 160-meter contest expressly
request the observance of the DX window.  Rule 6.1:  The segment 1.830 to 1.835
should be used for intercontinental QSOs only.  I was very annoyed to find that
many USA stations parked in the DX window, with loud (probably HP) signals, and
made extended CQ runs -- some even parked right at the edges of the window --
with signal bandwidth extending into the window.  Several times, I could detect
weak, sometimes probable and other times for sure, DX signals in the window, but
I could not "tweak" them to consistently identifiable copy near the noise level
with loud US signals continually blasting away in the window.  Please when the
contest rules request observance of the DX window, please do comply and don't
hinder.  Be considerate -- after all, top band used to be called the
gentlemen's band.

As always, I especially enjoy any radio contest on top band.
Thanks for the Qs and Ms.
73,
    Gary