[3830] ARRL 160 K2QO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, msadams60@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K2QO Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:02:44 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K2QO
Operator(s): K2QO
Station: K2QO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 364  Sections = 60  Countries = 8  Total Score = 44,940

Club: Western NY DX Association

Comments:

Ran the first half QRP and the second half 100W. Played with my new Inverted L
with elevated radials and newer 220' dipole. Also wanted to see how the K2
compared to the IC-746 each with the two antennas. No contest in any universe.
The K2 is far superior in pulling out signals on a crowded band. My 746 has a
500 Hz filter at the 9MHz IF, but alas, it is not enough. Time to search for a
new way to get 100W on the HF bands. Maybe a 100W upgrade for the K2? The 746
is a keeper on VHF for sure.

Propagation seemed just OK. The best part of the contest was Sunday morning. I
picked a CQ frequency at 6AM local and could not even refresh my coffee until
8:30. Nice!

In case you are interested, my inverted L is about 85' up and 40' horizontal
with the feed 7' off the ground using a COMTEK 1:1 balun. The 4 radials snake
through the trees between 7 and 13' off the ground (height needed to cross the
driveway in 2 spots). So far, this is the best antenna I've tried for 160M.
Need to add some RX antennas next year.

73,
Mark K2QO