[3830] NCCC Sprint W1NN LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint W1NN LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 19:14:51 -0800
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - Dec 9

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

  160:   6      5
   80:  12     12
   40:  13     10
   20:   4      4
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  35     31  Total Score = 1,085

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Very pleased with my first NS operating remote from Tokyo.  I didn't expect to
do this well.

I am using an entirely new antenna that I put up specifically for remote work.
It is in the back yard and out of the way so if it comes down it won't fall
across the driveway as happened one other time I was away.  It is a so-called
G5RV Max designed to work on all bands without an external tuner.  It loaded
fine on all bands before I left but now the SWR is quite high on 20, so I was
surprised that I could work anyone there.  It's not as high as my other
antennas but seemed to work pretty well.

The TS-480 receiver is not very good and I still don't know how to use it so I
think I was calling lots of guys off frequency, and selectivity is poor.  My
apologies to W0YX - you were pretty strong on 80 but several guys jumped on top
of us and I just couldn't pull you out of the QRM.

Conditions were great tonight with short skip on 20 allowing me to work a
couple of guys I don't ordinarily work on that band.  K4BAI was really blasting
in there.

The connection seems pretty stable but there is a small lag and sometimes the
radio burps and hesitates.  Overall, though, it looks like the remote will work
okay and allow me to play radio from my first floor Tokyo apartment at the
bottom of a big hill where real radio would be almost impossible.  Best of all,
the NS ends at lunch time so there's plenty of time to get rid of the adrenaline
before bed!

CU next week and maybe in the 10 meter contest.

73  Hal W1NN