[3830] ARRL 10 WX3B M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WX3B M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 17:42:47 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B, N8IVN
Station: WX3B

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 28.6

   CW: 1002   169
  SSB: 1320   169
-------------------
Total: 2322   338  Total Score = 2,247,024

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The 2011 ARRL 10 meter contest:  Yes, we DO have sunspots!

This was the maiden voyage of the new WX3B Force 12 EF-610 Monobander during a
contest WITH sunspots and it got sure got a great workout!

I decided to do this contest with team WX3B veteran Dennis, N8IVN because I
knew we could split up the operation into â??SSBâ?? and â??CWâ?? specialties.
Ok, I enjoy SSB as much as CW (unheard of in PVRC) and figured it would be a
great excuse to get some pileup training for Dennis and let me have at least
one of those 200+ QSO hours I saw Bernie W3UR have an endless supply of during
CQWW SSB.

Armed with an N3OC multi-radio lockout box (insures only ONE signal can be on
the band at a time) and a 10 meter hamstick as a diversity receive antenna, we
were ready to rock and roll.

Saturday morning came along and as I sat perched in the chair to run EUs on CW
I was surprised by the LACK of density with the callers.  Saturday evening came
and went with very few JAs/Asia heard.  Fortunately, Sunday was much better in
both departments and we more than doubled our QSO count.

Fred K3ZO has been talking about long-path Asian openings with really strong
signals.  Dennis, N8IVN experienced an interesting QSO when B7P called him in
the late Sunday morning as he was running EUs.  It is always fun hearing
â??Bravo 7 what??!!!   Bravo 7 PAPA???  Really???â??

My favorite contact was near the end of the contest when a very familiar call
sign, K3LR was worked.  Tim was at his Oklahoma home, and OK was a MULTIPLIER I
had missed - Thanks, Tim!

I want to thank Dennis N8IVN for his excellent work at WX3B â?" I had set a
tentative goal of making 2m points and we easily exceeded it.  I will be
curious to see if any of the big guns were able to break records this year.  I
get the feeling that the A and K index may have conspired to keep some things
in check.

Congratulations to my good friend Steve NY3A for an unbelievable CW
(un-assisted) performance of over 2,000 QSOs.  That score just ROCKS!!!

Best Wishes to all for a great 2011 holiday season.

73,

Jim   WX3B