[3830] ARRL 10 V25R(K6IF) SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dan@andlev.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 V25R(K6IF) SO SSB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 12:04:05 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: V25R
Operator(s): K6IF
Station: V26B

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Antigua
Operating Time (hrs): 28

   CW:
  SSB: 3762   155
-------------------
Total: 3762   155  Total Score = 1,166,220

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

What a difference a year makes!

Last year was my first trip to Antigua for the 10 meter contest, and I came in
8th DX SSB HP with a measly 58,000 points.  Conditions were terrible - no EU
opening, just a few hours of openings to parts of the US.

This year was completely different.  Conditions from the Caribbean were
outstanding - the band was open from before sunrise until well after dark.  I
worked PA, W2 and W6 in the same minute, LU and W5 in the next.  Huge props to
KW8N (@KP2A) for demonstrating conclusively that skill and operating experience
matter - he cleaned my clock, despite having a number of equipment issues that I
didn't face.

The contrast between the US pileup and the EU pileup was quite amazing.  This
was my first real experience as DX in a major contest, and the unruly EU
callers were very frustrating.  I had plenty of guys in the pile most of the
day, but my rate was about 50 Q's / hr. higher when working primarily US
stations - just because they are so much better behaved.

In any event, thanks to all for a great contest - the 10 meter is still my
favorite and always will be.

V25R was 4 element yagi's at 75',50' (EU) and 25' (US), K3 + ALS-1300,
operating from the V26B station on Antigua.