[3830] ARRL 10 N3UM SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N3UM SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:51:53 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N3UM
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: N3UM

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 23.3

   CW: 1235   135
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1235   135  Total Score = 666,900

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I've done ARRL 10 m. eleven times since 2000, always SOHP
CW Only, with comparable effort and equipment.  This year
my claimed score was only 5% behind my best ever score,
in 2002, and 28% ahead of my former second-best, in 2001.
It's exciting to be past the sunspot drought years of 2004 thru
2010 and my pitiful scores then of 7% to 25% of my 2011 claim.
I worked one more country this year than in 2002, and one
more mult in US + VE.  (I missed just one US state this year,
MS, none in 2002, but got 2 more VE provinces this year.)
If I scale my 2011 score to 2002 rules by eliminating my 7
XE state mults, it's still only 9% behind my 2002 number.
Fri. evening there was no E or F skip, just VHF-style LOS
QSOs in MD and adjacent states plus a few via meteor trails.
Beaming east Sat. AM at 12 Z, there was good backscatter to
the US east coast, and a few EUs via skew path.  Then, very
good run to EU beginning 13 Z: I averaged 84/hr for 3 hrs,
13-16 Z, and 68/hr for the whole morning, 12-1715 Z.  After
lunch, 1830 - 23 Z, I beamed west and found 28 mults and
174 QSOs, mixing run and S&P.  In hindsight, I shoulda run
more, like I did in 2002, when I got 23 mults and 303 QSOs in
the same time period.  Sat. after dark was DEAD: only 4 QSOs.
Sun. AM I started earlier, 1135 Z, found a freq and just ran.
Slow at first, ~35/hr., but rate really took off just before
12 Z: 316 QSOs in 4 hr. 12-16 Z, an average of 79/hr. I worked
4 new states on backscatter: IL, ND, SD, and KS.
Sun. PM I ran pointing west and found 3 more states: MO, NE,
and OK.  At 2048, VY1EI called me for YT!  Not loud, and I had
to quick swing my beam N, but no problem.  Then, S&P, I found
some DX mults and then finally AR with 43 min. to spare, but
never MS, despite lots of TX and LA QSOs.  I found plenty of JA,
VK, ZL, and ZS, but my only semi-rare mults were V5, KH2, and
ZL5, at the Kiwi base in Antarctica.  Dec. 2012 on 10 should be fun!