[3830] ARRL 10 W8QZA SO SSB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W8QZA SO SSB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:00:16 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W8QZA
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SO SSB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 19

   CW:
  SSB:  374    84
-------------------
Total:  374    84  Total Score = 62,832

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K-2 (5 Watts)
Antenna: 3 el SteppIR up 32 feet

Very good conditions this year! Four years ago, in 2007, with a full effort I
had 33 Qs, 4 Mults, and a score of 264 with a full effort! ...Times change!

I used my original W8QZA call in this contest so the Qs would count for my
Triple Play award.

I was able to put in a pretty full effort in this contest and logged 19 hours
at the rig, stopping only when the skip gave out. One huge disadvantage for me
was that there was almost NO E-skip so I was not able to work any close in
states at all.  And, I never heard a DE which I also need for LoTW WAS!

This is the one contest that I can actually run on a frequency with my 5 watts.
I had a run of 88 Qs on late Sunday afternoon over a 90 minute stretch. Of my
374 Qs, 138 (37%) were made during only 2 1/2 hours of CQing. I made a lot of
Qs but no new mults!

As far as DX is concerned, I was able to work 36 DXCC countries. I was able to
get into western Europe, but nothing in eastern Europe. I did work some
interesting Pacific DX including BY, KH2, ZL, VK6, YB, DU, and UA0. Oddly, no
KH6 which is normally a west coast stable! Japanese activity seems to be coming
back and I was able to work 13 JA stations.

I made 40 Qs on CW to pick up some states I needed for Triple Play, but did not
submit those Qs for the contest.

I really enjoy this contest and look forward to it each year. ....maybe it's
because I get to sleep!

73,  Bill   W8QZA / W6QU